Old 01-11-2010, 06:59 AM
Xianwen Chen

Default How to allow wheel users to open ports?

Hello all,

How can I allow wheel users to open ports? Please help me!

Thank you!

Regards,
*Xianwen Chen <xianwen.chen@yahoo.com>

Old 01-11-2010, 07:01 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Monday 11 January 2010 09:59:39 Xianwen Chen wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> How can I allow wheel users to open ports? Please help me!

You don't open ports. You let users run apps that open ports.

Perhaps you should state more clearly what it is that you want to accomplish.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 01-11-2010, 07:14 AM
Xianwen Chen

Hi Alan,

Thanks for the reply!

I want to run webmail* add-on on thunderbird with a wheel user. The system doesn't allow the webmail to open at port below 1024. Any open port above 1024 is not accessible. How can I solve this problem?
*Best regards,

Old 01-11-2010, 07:20 AM
Adam

> I want to run webmail add-on on thunderbird with a wheel user. The system doesn't allow the webmail to open at port below 1024. Any open port above 1024 is not accessible. How can I solve this problem?

Plenty of info via google, like
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/413807/is-there-a-way-for-non-root-processes-to-bind-to-privileged-ports-1024-on-linux/413868

Old 01-11-2010, 07:47 AM
Xianwen Chen