Old 01-10-2010, 07:42 PM
Marco

Default Fluxbox not starting after login with SLIM

Hi,

I updated my system and beside others, Xorg got updated. Now, when I
log in with SLIM, fluxbox does not start anymore. I just get into an
ugly x-session.

In my ~/.xinitrc I have exec startfluxbox which always got me into
fluxbox after log in with SLIM. This is according to
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/fluxbox-config.xml

Killing X and then startx as user (non-root) I get into fluxbox...

Thanks in advance for your tips!

Marco

Old 01-10-2010, 07:46 PM
"Zeerak Waseem"

I updated my system and beside others, Xorg got updated. Now, when I
log in with SLIM, fluxbox does not start anymore. I just get into an
ugly x-session.

In my ~/.xinitrc I have exec startfluxbox which always got me into
fluxbox after log in with SLIM. This is according to
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/fluxbox-config.xml

Killing X and then startx as user (non-root) I get into fluxbox...

Thanks in advance for your tips!

Marco

Hey,

Try checking for a .xinitrc (if you're using that) in your user home dir.
I had the same issue and i had only corrected the .xinitrc for root :-)

--
Zeerak

Old 01-10-2010, 08:00 PM
Ngoc Nguyen Bao

I updated my system and beside others, Xorg got updated. Now, when I

log in with SLIM, fluxbox does not start anymore. I just get into an

ugly x-session.

In my ~/.xinitrc I have *exec startfluxbox which always got me into

fluxbox after log in with SLIM. This is according to

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/fluxbox-config.xml

Killing X and then startx as user (non-root) I get into fluxbox...

Thanks in advance for your tips!

*Marco

Hi, remove the line "exec startfluxbox" in your .xinitrc and append startfluxbox to sessions in /etc/slim.conf like this:
# Available sessions (first one is the default).# The current chosen session name is replaced in the login_cmd
# above, so your login command can handle different sessions.# see the xinitrc.sample file shipped with slim sources
sessions********** startfluxbox,compiz-session,startlxde,openbox
And try to login again. Maybe it helps.
--
Nguyễn Bảo Ngọc
http://www.facebook.com/pymaster

Old 01-11-2010, 08:48 AM
Mick

2010/1/10 Ngoc Nguyen Bao <baongoc124@gmail.com>:

> On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 3:42 AM, Marco <listworks@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I updated my system and beside others, Xorg got updated. Now, when I
>> log in with SLIM, fluxbox does not start anymore. I just get into an
>> ugly x-session.
>>
>> In my ~/.xinitrc I have *exec startfluxbox which always got me into
>> fluxbox after log in with SLIM. This is according to
>> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/fluxbox-config.xml
>>
>> Killing X and then startx as user (non-root) I get into fluxbox...
>>
>> Thanks in advance for your tips!
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> *Marco
>>

> Hi, remove the line "exec startfluxbox" in your .xinitrc and append
> startfluxbox to sessions in /etc/slim.conf like this:
> # Available sessions (first one is the default).
> # The current chosen session name is replaced in the login_cmd
> # above, so your login command can handle different sessions.
> # see the xinitrc.sample file shipped with slim sources
> sessions********** startfluxbox,compiz-session,startlxde,openbox
>
> And try to login again. Maybe it helps.

I think that the OP's problem was caused by rc.conf not being sourced
by the latest baselayout. Have a look at this thread:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.user/224058

Mick

Old 01-18-2010, 01:39 PM
Marco

Hi,

sorry for late reply. I was on a business trip.

Mick's link got me to the solution of the problem. Related information
can also be found under
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/openrc-migration.xml

echo 'XSESSION="fluxbox"' > /etc/env.d/90xsession

solved my problem.

(Now I've got to find out what other impacts this "Baselayout and
OpenRC Migration Guide" causes...)

Thanks for your tips!

Marco