Old 01-10-2010, 06:54 PM
Mark Knecht

Default MagicJack on Gentoo? (preferably PPC)

Does anyone have any direct experience running MagicJack (or another
similar product that's available in the U.S. on a Gentoo machine,
preferably a Power PC based machine as that's the only 24/7 machine I
have here right now. I didn't find anything about MagicJack in the
forums.

The MagicJack site says they will add Linux support 1st quarter 2010
but they haven't released anything yet. Is there anything in portage
that supports this? I could use windows to register the device and
then run it from elsewhere on the network.

Looking around on the web it seems most folks have set up VMWare or
some other VM as a way to just run Windows. My only 24/7 machine right
now is actually PPC-based so that's not going to work for me.

Even better might be some sort of Ethernet to USB adapter that would
allow me to plug it directly into an unused port on my router and skip
all the PCs completely but I talked to MagicJack said the device
requires drivers on both Mac and Windows.

I haven't studied Skype's offerings yet as I was looking for something
turn-key and I'm not sure that's true with them, but I'll go find out.

Thanks,
Mark

Old 01-10-2010, 08:44 PM
Stroller

Does anyone have any direct experience running MagicJack (or another
similar product that's available in the U.S. on a Gentoo machine,
preferably a Power PC based machine as that's the only 24/7 machine I
have here right now. I didn't find anything about MagicJack in the
forums. ...

Is this the new cell-phone version you're interested in, or for use
with a cabled telephone?

Stroller.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:23 PM
Mark Knecht

On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 1:44 PM, Stroller
<stroller@stellar.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:

> On 10 Jan 2010, at 19:54, Mark Knecht wrote:
>
>> Does anyone have any direct experience running MagicJack (or another
>> similar product that's available in the U.S. on a Gentoo machine,
>> preferably a Power PC based machine as that's the only 24/7 machine I
>> have here right now. I didn't find anything about MagicJack in the
>> forums. ...
>
> Is this the new cell-phone version you're interested in, or for use with a
> cabled telephone?
>
> Stroller.

The USB version for regular in-house phones.

Thinking about dumping my wired line.

Thanks,
Mark

Old 01-10-2010, 11:46 PM
"Tence T. George"

http://www.magicjacksupport.com/using-magicjack-on-linux-f15.html

I see a lot of threads for VM solutions but since you're using PPC maybe you can try the SIP/asterisk route.* I never got it to work with my trixbox VM,* but if you get it working let me/list know lol.

-Tence

Old 01-11-2010, 01:49 PM
Stroller

Does anyone have any direct experience running MagicJack (or another
similar product that's available in the U.S. on a Gentoo machine,
preferably a Power PC based machine as that's the only 24/7
machine I

have here right now. I didn't find anything about MagicJack in the
forums. ...

Is this the new cell-phone version you're interested in, or for use
with a

cabled telephone?

The USB version for regular in-house phones.

Thinking about dumping my wired line.

MagicJack is just a USB FXS and a SIP client, except that it's tied
into a proprietary service. There are lots of companies that sell VoIP
using the SIP standard and I would expect there are many cheaper than
MagicJack, because they don't bundle it up in a package that's easy-to-
use to noddies (on the other hand, MagicJack's prices may be affected
by the volume they're able to buy).

You can do this with a SIP client on your PC, then add in Asterisk or
Freeswitch and an FXS to include your olde phone in the mix. Looks
like something like this <http://www.voipon.co.uk/iaxy-analog-adapter-c-2_56.html
> would be the way to go.

Stroller.

Old 01-11-2010, 05:31 PM
Mark Knecht

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 6:49 AM, Stroller
<stroller@stellar.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:

> On 10 Jan 2010, at 22:23, Mark Knecht wrote:

>>> Is this the new cell-phone version you're interested in, or for use with
>>> cabled telephone?
>>
>> The USB version for regular in-house phones.
>>
>> Thinking about dumping my wired line.
>
> MagicJack is just a USB FXS and a SIP client, except that it's tied into a
> proprietary service. There are lots of companies that sell VoIP using the
> SIP standard and I would expect there are many cheaper than MagicJack,
> because they don't bundle it up in a package that's easy-to-use to noddies
> (on the other hand, MagicJack's prices may be affected by the volume they're
> able to buy).

At about $1.50/month it's nothing to worry about price-wise, and if it
is packaged well and somehow that translates into it works better or
has family features like voice mail, call forwarding or other things,
then I'm happy to pay the price. MJ does offer some form or enhanced
911 service (U.S. emergency number as possibly you're in the U.K.
based on the link you provided) if I sign up for it which is a concern
if we were to completely drop our land line.

Note that the MJ $19.95/year includes the physical interface similar
to the one in your link so it's pretty cheap here. It's just that I
want to run it on a Linux box, but as I said, I'm happy to test it out
and register it on a Windows machine if necessary.

> You can do this with a SIP client on your PC, then add in Asterisk or
> Freeswitch and an FXS to include your olde phone in the mix. Looks like
> something like this
> <http://www.voipon.co.uk/iaxy-analog-adapter-c-2_56.html> would be the way
> to go.

Great information! Thanks! I can study the standards and figure out
some options.

I appreciate the help.

Cheers,
Mark

Old 01-11-2010, 07:46 PM
Paul Hartman

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 12:31 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
MJ does offer some form or enhanced
> 911 service (U.S. emergency number as possibly you're in the U.K.
> based on the link you provided) if I sign up for it which is a concern
> if we were to completely drop our land line.

I believe E911 is legally required for any VoIP provider in the United States.

I use Callcentric (with a Linksys SPA2102 obtained from ebay for
$20ish) and the $1.50 E911 fee makes up nearly half of my phone
bill...

Old 01-11-2010, 09:00 PM
Stroller

MagicJack is just a USB FXS and a SIP client, except that it's tied
into a
proprietary service. There are lots of companies that sell VoIP
using the
SIP standard and I would expect there are many cheaper than
MagicJack,
because they don't bundle it up in a package that's easy-to-use to
noddies
(on the other hand, MagicJack's prices may be affected by the
volume they're

able to buy).

At about $1.50/month it's nothing to worry about price-wise, ...

They give you unlimited calls for that?

Or am I somehow misunderstand the service?

... if it is packaged well and somehow that translates into it works
better or

has family features like voice mail, call forwarding or other things,
then I'm happy to pay the price.

You should be able to do FAR more sophisticated things than this if
you manage it yourself. Asterisk is, however, hugely complicated. I
really like the sound of Freeswitch, but haven't looked at it closely
yet.

Stroller.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:30 PM
Mark Knecht

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 2:00 PM, Stroller
<stroller@stellar.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:

> On 11 Jan 2010, at 18:31, Mark Knecht wrote:

>>> MagicJack is just a USB FXS and a SIP client, except that it's tied into
>>> proprietary service. There are lots of companies that sell VoIP using the
>>> SIP standard and I would expect there are many cheaper than MagicJack,
>>> because they don't bundle it up in a package that's easy-to-use to
>>> noddies
>>> (on the other hand, MagicJack's prices may be affected by the volume
>>> they're
>>> able to buy).
>>
>> At about $1.50/month it's nothing to worry about price-wise, ...
>
> They give you unlimited calls for that?
>
> Or am I somehow misunderstand the service?

As I understand the service it's $19.95/year, unlimited calls in the
U.S. and Canada. They have other plans that allow calls to other
locations but I don't have enough interest myself.

>> ... if it is packaged well and somehow that translates into it works
>> better or
>> has family features like voice mail, call forwarding or other things,
>> then I'm happy to pay the price.
>
> You should be able to do FAR more sophisticated things than this if you
> manage it yourself. Asterisk is, however, hugely complicated. I really like
> the sound of Freeswitch, but haven't looked at it closely yet.
>
> Stroller.

I suspect you are right but I am really looking for something simple
and pretty much turn-key right now. I don't have the time to learn
some new complicated software package and then try to administer it.

thanks,
Mark

Old 01-11-2010, 09:44 PM
Mark Knecht

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 12:46 PM, Paul Hartman
<paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 12:31 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
> MJ does offer some form or enhanced
>> 911 service (U.S. emergency number as possibly you're in the U.K.
>> based on the link you provided) if I sign up for it which is a concern
>> if we were to completely drop our land line.
>
> I believe E911 is legally required for any VoIP provider in the United States.

Their web site has some info about this. I figure what I actually get
is what I actually get and probably not worth worrying about right
now.

http://www.magicjack.com/4/faq/

> I use Callcentric (with a Linksys SPA2102 obtained from ebay for
> $20ish) and the $1.50 E911 fee makes up nearly half of my phone
> bill...

OK, so the CalccCentric plans look a lot like MagicJack, but you can
use it directly with your router? I like that as of course the routers
are on all the time and wouldn't be subject to long Gentoo emerge /
reboot updates on my MythTV server.

Is you SPA2102 your main router for your house or is it behind a more
general router with wireless capabilities? I need wireless around the
house so I guess I'd have to find the right device if it's too
difficult to open port ranges for VoIP. I suspect it isn't too
difficult?

Thanks,
Mark