FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-10-2010, 04:11 PM
Frank Steinmetzger
 
Default Scheduled wakeup from suspend to ram

Hi Group

one of the very last things I still need Win***s for is to wake me up in the
morning: I set up a task schedule to launch a playlist with Winamp. Do you
know of any way to let my laptop go on again automatically after I put it to
sleep in its RAM?

In case it helps: I'm running 32 bit i686, version 2.6.30.

TIA
--
Gru | Greetings | Qapla'
Press any key to continue, or any other key to quit.
 
Old 01-10-2010, 05:45 PM
Alan McKinnon
 
Default Scheduled wakeup from suspend to ram

On Sunday 10 January 2010 19:11:52 Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
> Hi Group
>
> one of the very last things I still need Win***s for is to wake me up in
> the morning: I set up a task schedule to launch a playlist with Winamp. Do
> you know of any way to let my laptop go on again automatically after I put
> it to sleep in its RAM?
>
> In case it helps: I'm running 32 bit i686, version 2.6.30.
>
> TIA
>

Sounds like a classic case of being WAAAAAAAY too complicated.

Have you considered buying a cheap alarm clock?
Or setting your phone to play a tune for an alarm?

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
 
Old 01-10-2010, 07:44 PM
Frank Steinmetzger
 
Default Scheduled wakeup from suspend to ram

Am Sonntag, 10. Januar 2010 schrieb Alan McKinnon:
> On Sunday 10 January 2010 19:11:52 Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
> > Hi Group
> >
> > one of the very last things I still need Win***s for is to wake me up in
> > the morning: I set up a task schedule to launch a playlist with Winamp.
> > Do you know of any way to let my laptop go on again automatically after I
> > put it to sleep in its RAM?
> >
> > In case it helps: I'm running 32 bit i686, version 2.6.30.
> >
> > TIA
>
> Sounds like a classic case of being WAAAAAAAY too complicated.
>
> Have you considered buying a cheap alarm clock?
> Or setting your phone to play a tune for an alarm?

The phone serves as alarm clock by blaring out lout sounds that need to be
pressed away. )
--
Gru | Greetings | Qapla'
Concious smokers drink decaf.
 
Old 01-10-2010, 08:40 PM
Stroller
 
Default Scheduled wakeup from suspend to ram

On 10 Jan 2010, at 18:45, Alan McKinnon wrote:

On Sunday 10 January 2010 19:11:52 Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
one of the very last things I still need Win***s for is to wake me
up in
the morning: I set up a task schedule to launch a playlist with
Winamp. Do
you know of any way to let my laptop go on again automatically
after I put

it to sleep in its RAM?

In case it helps: I'm running 32 bit i686, version 2.6.30.


Sounds like a classic case of being WAAAAAAAY too complicated.

Have you considered buying a cheap alarm clock?
Or setting your phone to play a tune for an alarm?


This was my reaction, too, but c'mon, Linux's sleep functionality must
have a rewake feature, mustn't it?


Stroller.
 
Old 01-10-2010, 09:09 PM
Alan McKinnon
 
Default Scheduled wakeup from suspend to ram

On Sunday 10 January 2010 23:40:57 Stroller wrote:
> On 10 Jan 2010, at 18:45, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > On Sunday 10 January 2010 19:11:52 Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
> >> one of the very last things I still need Win***s for is to wake me
> >> up in
> >> the morning: I set up a task schedule to launch a playlist with
> >> Winamp. Do
> >> you know of any way to let my laptop go on again automatically
> >> after I put
> >> it to sleep in its RAM?
> >>
> >> In case it helps: I'm running 32 bit i686, version 2.6.30.
> >
> > Sounds like a classic case of being WAAAAAAAY too complicated.
> >
> > Have you considered buying a cheap alarm clock?
> > Or setting your phone to play a tune for an alarm?
>
> This was my reaction, too, but c'mon, Linux's sleep functionality must
> have a rewake feature, mustn't it?

I dunno. Think about this - in suspend, nothing is working and no user-code is
running. The only power consumed is what is needed to refresh RAM. That must
be there otherwise the content goes away if you try and resume.

So what part of the machine is powered to be able to wake it up? PCs don't
have alarm clocks, the on-board clock can't usually do it, so the only option
is for some code to be running, polling the time and cause the system to wake
up. Which is exactly what suspend does not do.

Wake-on-LAN can do it, but that's not what the OP wants.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
 
Old 01-10-2010, 09:27 PM
Daniel Pielmeier
 
Default Scheduled wakeup from suspend to ram

Frank Steinmetzger schrieb am 10.01.2010 18:11:
> Hi Group
>
> one of the very last things I still need Win***s for is to wake me up in the
> morning: I set up a task schedule to launch a playlist with Winamp. Do you
> know of any way to let my laptop go on again automatically after I put it to
> sleep in its RAM?
>
> In case it helps: I'm running 32 bit i686, version 2.6.30.
>
> TIA

You can use the real time clock to wake up from suspend to ram.

# Set alarm to 0
echo 0 > /sys/class/rtc/rtc0/wakealarm
# Set new alarm time
date '+%s' -d '+5 minutes' > /sys/class/rtc/rtc0/wakealarm
# Suspend to ram
echo mem >/sys/power/state

If you don't have /sys/class/rtc/rtc0/wakealarm you need to enable rtc
support in your kernel.

--
Daniel Pielmeier
 
Old 01-10-2010, 09:36 PM
Renat Golubchyk
 
Default Scheduled wakeup from suspend to ram

On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 00:09:48 +0200 Alan McKinnon
<alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sunday 10 January 2010 23:40:57 Stroller wrote:
> > This was my reaction, too, but c'mon, Linux's sleep functionality
> > must have a rewake feature, mustn't it?
>
> I dunno. Think about this - in suspend, nothing is working and no
> user-code is running. The only power consumed is what is needed to
> refresh RAM. That must be there otherwise the content goes away if
> you try and resume.
>
> So what part of the machine is powered to be able to wake it up? PCs
> don't have alarm clocks, the on-board clock can't usually do it, so
> the only option is for some code to be running, polling the time and
> cause the system to wake up. Which is exactly what suspend does not
> do.

Windows can do that and BIOS has such settings too. Those are
power management settings like "suspend to RAM after X minutes",
"hibernate after Y minutes". In order to hibernate it has to wake up
first, so there must be some place where a timer is set.

And I have seen it done on Linux. I just never tried it myself.


Cheers,
Renat

--
Probleme kann man niemals mit derselben Denkweise loesen,
durch die sie entstanden sind.
(Einstein)
 
Old 01-11-2010, 06:51 AM
Alan McKinnon
 
Default Scheduled wakeup from suspend to ram

On Monday 11 January 2010 00:36:57 Renat Golubchyk wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 00:09:48 +0200 Alan McKinnon
>
> <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sunday 10 January 2010 23:40:57 Stroller wrote:
> > > This was my reaction, too, but c'mon, Linux's sleep functionality
> > > must have a rewake feature, mustn't it?
> >
> > I dunno. Think about this - in suspend, nothing is working and no
> > user-code is running. The only power consumed is what is needed to
> > refresh RAM. That must be there otherwise the content goes away if
> > you try and resume.
> >
> > So what part of the machine is powered to be able to wake it up? PCs
> > don't have alarm clocks, the on-board clock can't usually do it, so
> > the only option is for some code to be running, polling the time and
> > cause the system to wake up. Which is exactly what suspend does not
> > do.
>
> Windows can do that and BIOS has such settings too. Those are
> power management settings like "suspend to RAM after X minutes",
> "hibernate after Y minutes". In order to hibernate it has to wake up
> first, so there must be some place where a timer is set.
>
> And I have seen it done on Linux. I just never tried it myself.

Interesting. I haven't looked into that stuff in years, I must be way behind
the times then :-)

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
 
Old 01-11-2010, 02:01 PM
Stroller
 
Default Scheduled wakeup from suspend to ram

On 10 Jan 2010, at 22:09, Alan McKinnon wrote:

...
This was my reaction, too, but c'mon, Linux's sleep functionality
must

have a rewake feature, mustn't it?


I dunno. Think about this - in suspend, nothing is working and no
user-code is
running. The only power consumed is what is needed to refresh RAM.
That must

be there otherwise the content goes away if you try and resume.

So what part of the machine is powered to be able to wake it up? PCs
don't
have alarm clocks, the on-board clock can't usually do it, so the
only option
is for some code to be running, polling the time and cause the
system to wake

up. Which is exactly what suspend does not do.


PCs have a BIOS feature that allows them to be woken at a specific
time. I think you can use Linux to set that time, then hibernate; I'm
not sure about sleep. It's certainly common amongst MythTV users to
set their machines to go into a low-power mode and then wake them in
time to record a TV show, but I don't know the mechanics.


Other posts may be more informative.

Stroller.
 
Old 01-11-2010, 11:36 PM
Frank Steinmetzger
 
Default Scheduled wakeup from suspend to ram

Am Sonntag, 10. Januar 2010 schrieb Daniel Pielmeier:
> Frank Steinmetzger schrieb am 10.01.2010 18:11:
> > Hi Group
> >
> > one of the very last things I still need Win***s for is to wake me up in
> > the morning: I set up a task schedule to launch a playlist with Winamp.
> > Do you know of any way to let my laptop go on again automatically after I
> > put it to sleep in its RAM?
> >
> > In case it helps: I'm running 32 bit i686, version 2.6.30.
> >
> > TIA
>
> You can use the real time clock to wake up from suspend to ram.
>
> # Set alarm to 0
> echo 0 > /sys/class/rtc/rtc0/wakealarm
> # Set new alarm time
> date '+%s' -d '+5 minutes' > /sys/class/rtc/rtc0/wakealarm
> # Suspend to ram
> echo mem >/sys/power/state
>
> If you don't have /sys/class/rtc/rtc0/wakealarm you need to enable rtc
> support in your kernel.

Thanks for the hint, that sounds promising. However, I didn’t
have /sys/classes/rtc and since I didn’t know what I need for my ICH-7
chipset, I compiled everything I could find under Device Drivers/RTC. Then I
loaded all those modules, but apart from an empty directory /sys/classes/rtc,
the only reaction at all that I got in my syslog was:

kernel: rtc_cmos: probe of 00:07 failed with error -16


Well, I’ll dig into it further...
--
Gruß | Greetings | Qapla'
"I decided to go on a strict diet. I cut out alcohol, all fats
and sugar. In two weeks I lost 14 days." - Tim Maia
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:13 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org