Old 01-08-2010, 07:13 PM
Grant

Default {OT} Akamai allowed through firewall?

I was going through some firewall rules today, and it looks like I
allowed an IP address that resolves to akamai.com to be accessed for
http from a restricted machine. Does that make sense to anyone?

- Grant

Old 01-08-2010, 07:19 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Friday 08 January 2010 22:13:11 Grant wrote:
> I was going through some firewall rules today, and it looks like I
> allowed an IP address that resolves to akamai.com to be accessed for
> http from a restricted machine. Does that make sense to anyone?
>
> - Grant

Yes. akamai is a download server used by many commercial vendors to host
package downloads. You likely enabled it to be able to install some binary
package onto a single machine.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 01-08-2010, 08:08 PM
Grant

>> I was going through some firewall rules today, and it looks like I
>> allowed an IP address that resolves to akamai.com to be accessed for
>> http from a restricted machine. *Does that make sense to anyone?
>>
>> - Grant
>>

> Yes. akamai is a download server used by many commercial vendors to host
> package downloads. You likely enabled it to be able to install some binary
> package onto a single machine.

Thank you Alan.

- Grant