Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Gentoo User (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/)
-   -   New application: app-portage/kportagetray (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/306150-new-application-app-portage-kportagetray.html)

Ronan Arraes Jardim Chagas 01-08-2010 05:55 AM

New application: app-portage/kportagetray
 
Hello James,

That is my goal at the future. Let it be each day more integrated with emerge
and its tools.

By now, I just want to see if gentoo community has interest in my idea before
search for some place to host it and put the ebuild at an overlay. And you are
right, I do not recommend for non-experience users to be using this kind of
software.

Regards,
--
Ronan Arraes Jardim Chagas
Control and Automation Engineer
Gentoo Foundation Member

Em Sexta-feira 08 Janeiro 2010, ās 02:44:04, James Ausmus escreveu:
> On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 12:05 PM, Ronan Arraes Jardim Chagas <
>
> ronisbr@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello fellows,
> >
> > I already sent this e-mail to Dev ML but I decided to sent it also to
> > user ML
> > to get more feedbacks.
> >
> > I started to code a new application to make some daily tasks easier with
> > portage. It is called KPortageTray.
> >
> > It is coded with PyKDE, so, unfortunately (or fortunately :D) you will
> > need PyKDE and KDE to install it.
> > I'm not sure if I make something that will need portage 2.2, if anyone
> > can tell me I'll appreciate.
> >
> > By now, I just implemented some very common tasks like:
> >
> > - Sync portage tree;
> > - Upgrade world set;
> > - Check if there are upgrade available;
> > * I'll make something to schedule it in future versions.
> > - Upgrade portage version;
> > - Run etc-update, revdep-rebuild or execute dep-clean at the system.
> >
> > I used a very simple approach: for every actions that the user must see
> > the output, a script execute a konsole with kdesu. With this way, isn't
> > necessary
> > to run the application as root which, in my opinion, is better.
> >
> > This application can save some typing with daily tasks, but it will never
> > substitute CLI, since some complicate things is very hard to handle. For
> > example, if there are some Block, KPortageTray warning the user, show the
> > output from emerge and let the user resolve it. But, since it is very
> > uncommon
> > to have a Block, this software can really save some time.
> >
> > I make some tests but it is at the beginning of development, so I'm
> > asking for
> > help do add new features / give ideas / report bugs. If the community
> > like it,
> > maybe I'll open a git repository somewhere.
> >
> > I took three screenshots:
> >
> > http://yfrog.com/7akportagetray01p
> > http://yfrog.com/11kportagetray02p
> > http://yfrog.com/b6kportagetray03p
> >
> > And I'm attaching tarball and ebuild (80KiB ~) and I would appreciate if
> > someone test it and give me a feedback :)
>
> This looks pretty awesome - I'm not in a position to test it right now, but
> can this be thrown in an overlay so I can get to it in the future easily,
> and get the updates easily?
>
> Also, have you thought about (optional) support for/integration with eix? I
> would love to have this just popup a notification that I can click which
> will show me the (important) info - aka the database diff - from the latest
> eix-syncs...
>
> -James
>
> > Regards,
> > --
> > Ronan Arraes Jardim Chagas
> > Control and Automation Engineer
> > Gentoo Foundation Member
>

"Zeerak Waseem" 01-08-2010 05:58 AM

New application: app-portage/kportagetray
 
On Fri, 08 Jan 2010 07:55:47 +0100, Ronan Arraes Jardim Chagas
<ronisbr@gmail.com> wrote:



Hello James,

That is my goal at the future. Let it be each day more integrated with
emerge

and its tools.

By now, I just want to see if gentoo community has interest in my idea
before
search for some place to host it and put the ebuild at an overlay. And
you are
right, I do not recommend for non-experience users to be using this kind
of

software.

Regards,


Well, if it wasn't depending on various kde applications and libraries, I
definitely think there's a fairly big market for this... I certainly would
be more than glad to use it :-)


--
Zeerak

Stroller 01-08-2010 06:01 AM

New application: app-portage/kportagetray
 
On 8 Jan 2010, at 04:44, James Ausmus wrote:

...
This looks pretty awesome - I'm not in a position to test it right
now, but can this be thrown in an overlay so I can get to it in the
future easily, and get the updates easily?


+1

... I would love to have this just popup a notification that I can
click which will show me the (important) info - aka the database
diff - from the latest eix-syncs...


What is this wonderful feature of eix that I have been missing out on,
please?


Stroller.

Stroller 01-08-2010 06:03 AM

New application: app-portage/kportagetray
 
On 7 Jan 2010, at 20:05, Ronan Arraes Jardim Chagas wrote:

...
I started to code a new application to make some daily tasks easier
with

portage. It is called KPortageTray.
...
I took three screenshots:

http://yfrog.com/7akportagetray01p
http://yfrog.com/11kportagetray02p
http://yfrog.com/b6kportagetray03p


Looks great. Is it possible to run it NOT maximised?

I assume so, in which case your screeshots don't really do justice to
your app.


Stroller.

Neil Bothwick 01-08-2010 07:34 AM

New application: app-portage/kportagetray
 
On Fri, 8 Jan 2010 01:36:10 -0200, Ronan Arraes Jardim Chagas wrote:

> I think I forgot a dependency.
> Can you check your version of PyQt4 and if it was built with dbus
> USE-flag? I'll correct the ebuild, thanks for the help.

[nelz@grunthos ~ 0]% eix PyQt4
[u] dev-python/PyQt4
Available versions: (~)4.5.1-r1[2] (~)4.5.4-r1[2] 4.5.4-r4 (~)4.6.2{tbz2} (~)4.7_pre20091231[1] {X assistant +dbus debug doc examples kde opengl phonon +qt3support sql svg webkit xmlpatterns}
Installed versions: 4.6.2{tbz2}(09:38:52 04/12/09)(X dbus kde opengl sql svg webkit -assistant -debug -doc -examples -phonon -xmlpatterns)
Homepage: http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/software/pyqt/intro/
Description: A set of Python bindings for the Qt toolkit


--
Neil Bothwick

Macro: (n.) a series of keystrokes used to simulate a missing but
essential command.

Neil Bothwick 01-08-2010 07:35 AM

New application: app-portage/kportagetray
 
On Fri, 8 Jan 2010 01:54:43 -0200, Ronan Arraes Jardim Chagas wrote:

> Can you check if knotify is also installed please?

Yes, 4.3.85 (4.4 beta 2) from the kde overlay.


--
Neil Bothwick

Can vegetarians eat animal crackers?

Neil Bothwick 01-08-2010 07:40 AM

New application: app-portage/kportagetray
 
On Thu, 7 Jan 2010 16:40:04 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:

> 2) The idea of end-users installing ebuilds themselves from an unknown
> individual delivered through an email list is about as insane as it
> could be. Just what I need is an untested ebuild that I install and
> build myself stealing everything on my system.

How is an ebuild posted to this list different from one posted to b.g.o?
Plenty of packages not in portage have ebuilds there, and many of the
packages in portage started off in b.g.o. The forums are also full of
scripts and ebuilds not available elsewhere.

> As a user and someone who cares about Gentoo I'd like to see ALL
> ebuilds banned from this list. Only takes one bad seed and one
> not-very knowledgeable user like me to give the distro a black eye it
> doesn't deserve.

Like the Debian screensaver package on gnome-look that ran downloaded and
ran a shell script? Installing a package from anywhere but the official
repository (and that includes portage overlays) should be done with
caution, but the idea of banning them is ludicrous.

If you want to ban anything that could potentially be abused, you may as
well start by banning life.


--
Neil Bothwick

X-Modem- A device on the losing end of an encounter with lightning.

Helmut Jarausch 01-08-2010 08:53 AM

New application: app-portage/kportagetray
 
On 7 Jan, Mark Knecht wrote:
> 2) The idea of end-users installing ebuilds themselves from an unknown
> individual delivered through an email list is about as insane as it
> could be. Just what I need is an untested ebuild that I install and
> build myself stealing everything on my system.
>
> As a user and someone who cares about Gentoo I'd like to see ALL
> ebuilds banned from this list. Only takes one bad seed and one
> not-very knowledgeable user like me to give the distro a black eye it
> doesn't deserve.
>


This is nonsense!
This list is just a source of information.
Nobody is forced to install anything nor does this
list shuffle off responsibility when maintaining
a Gentoo system.

Furthermore, I'm quite convinced that admins using Gentoo
know what they are doing, especially those subscribed to this
list.

Thanks for beeing concerned about our well-being,
and a HAPPY new year to you,
Helmut.

--
Helmut Jarausch

Lehrstuhl fuer Numerische Mathematik
RWTH - Aachen University
D 52056 Aachen, Germany

Ronan Arraes Jardim Chagas 01-08-2010 02:13 PM

New application: app-portage/kportagetray
 
Ok, so you use QT 4.6.
I'm using QT 4.5.3, I don't know if there are some incompatibility.

But, I'm thinking that the problem is with KNotify, because I use
org.kde.VisualNotifications DBUS service to display notifications at KDE system
tray. This service wasn't found on your system. I'm not sure, but I think that
kde-base/knotify is the package that provides it (or maybe dev-python/notify-
python). Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Regards,
--
Ronan Arraes Jardim Chagas
Control and Automation Engineer
Gentoo Foundation Member

Em Sexta-feira 08 Janeiro 2010, ās 06:34:02, Neil Bothwick escreveu:
> On Fri, 8 Jan 2010 01:36:10 -0200, Ronan Arraes Jardim Chagas wrote:
> > I think I forgot a dependency.
> > Can you check your version of PyQt4 and if it was built with dbus
> > USE-flag? I'll correct the ebuild, thanks for the help.
>
> [nelz@grunthos ~ 0]% eix PyQt4
> [u] dev-python/PyQt4
> Available versions: (~)4.5.1-r1[2] (~)4.5.4-r1[2] 4.5.4-r4
> (~)4.6.2{tbz2} (~)4.7_pre20091231[1] {X assistant +dbus debug doc examples
> kde opengl phonon +qt3support sql svg webkit xmlpatterns} Installed
> versions: 4.6.2{tbz2}(09:38:52 04/12/09)(X dbus kde opengl sql svg webkit
> -assistant -debug -doc -examples -phonon -xmlpatterns) Homepage:
> http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/software/pyqt/intro/ Description:
> A set of Python bindings for the Qt toolkit
>

Ronan Arraes Jardim Chagas 01-08-2010 02:13 PM

New application: app-portage/kportagetray
 
Thanks :)

--
Ronan Arraes Jardim Chagas
Control and Automation Engineer
Gentoo Foundation Member

Em Sexta-feira 08 Janeiro 2010, ās 04:58:03, Zeerak Waseem escreveu:
> On Fri, 08 Jan 2010 07:55:47 +0100, Ronan Arraes Jardim Chagas
>
> <ronisbr@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello James,
> >
> > That is my goal at the future. Let it be each day more integrated with
> > emerge
> > and its tools.
> >
> > By now, I just want to see if gentoo community has interest in my idea
> > before
> > search for some place to host it and put the ebuild at an overlay. And
> > you are
> > right, I do not recommend for non-experience users to be using this kind
> > of
> > software.
> >
> > Regards,
>
> Well, if it wasn't depending on various kde applications and libraries, I
> definitely think there's a fairly big market for this... I certainly would
> be more than glad to use it :-)
>


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:02 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.