Old 01-08-2010, 12:42 AM
Xi Shen

Default problem with "aqua" keyword

hi,

i ran into a strange problem. i am using gentoo 2008 amd64, with kde
4.3. i want to try the "aqua" gui with kde desktop. so i enabled
"aqua" use flag, but when emerge kdelibs, it requires a tool named
"install_name_tool" which is a apple dev tool. so i think i could get
this tool by emerging gcc-apple. but gcc-apple requires "x64-macos".

do i have to change my CHOST to "x64-macos" and rebuild my whole
system? is it possible to emerge the gcc-apple with my linux CHOST?

--
Best Regards,
David Shen

http://twitter.com/davidshen84/
http://meme.yahoo.com/davidshen84/

Old 01-08-2010, 02:50 AM
Dale

Xi Shen wrote:

hi,

i ran into a strange problem. i am using gentoo 2008 amd64, with kde
4.3. i want to try the "aqua" gui with kde desktop. so i enabled
"aqua" use flag, but when emerge kdelibs, it requires a tool named
"install_name_tool" which is a apple dev tool. so i think i could get
this tool by emerging gcc-apple. but gcc-apple requires "x64-macos".

do i have to change my CHOST to "x64-macos" and rebuild my whole
system? is it possible to emerge the gcc-apple with my linux CHOST?

This was posted a bit ago about this issue:

This is because Aqua/Carbon are Mac OS X-specific UI libraries - unless
you're running Gentoo/Darwin (aka Gentoo on Mac OS X), you're not going
to have the necessary UI libraries for the compiling packages to link
against, unless you've managed to extract the Carbon libraries intact
from a Mac system (no idea if that's even possible...)

HTH-

James

Maybe that will help. Sound like you need a Mac for that. I dunno.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 01-08-2010, 09:54 AM
Xi Shen

So, using the "aqua" use flag is not possible on a normal pc, right?

Thanks

davidshen84@gmail.com

send from mobile

On Jan 8, 2010 11:51 AM, "Dale" <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:

Xi Shen wrote:

> hi,
>
> i ran into a strange problem. i am using gentoo 2008 amd64, with kde
> 4....

This was posted a bit ago about this issue:

This is because Aqua/Carbon are Mac OS X-specific UI libraries - unless you're running Gentoo/Darwin (aka Gentoo on Mac OS X), you're not going to have the necessary UI libraries for the compiling packages to link against, unless you've managed to extract the Carbon libraries intact from a Mac system (no idea if that's even possible...)

HTH-

James

Maybe that will help. *Sound like you need a Mac for that. *I dunno.

Dale

:-) *:-)

Old 01-08-2010, 05:48 PM
"Dirk Heinrichs"

Am Freitag 08 Januar 2010 02:42:56 schrieb Xi Shen:
> hi,
>
> i ran into a strange problem. i am using gentoo 2008 amd64, with kde
> 4.3. i want to try the "aqua" gui with kde desktop. so i enabled
> "aqua" use flag, but when emerge kdelibs, it requires a tool named
> "install_name_tool" which is a apple dev tool. so i think i could get
> this tool by emerging gcc-apple. but gcc-apple requires "x64-macos".

# paludis -ip kdelibs --dl-deps-default discard
Building target list...
Building dependency list: ... 1 steps

These packages will be installed:

* kde-base/kdelibs :4.3 [R 4.3.4] <target>
-3dnow acl alsa (-altivec) (-aqua) -bindist bzip2 -debug -doc fam -
handbook -jpeg2k (-kdeenablefinal) (-kdeprefix) kerberos lzma mmx nls openexr
opengl semantic-desktop spell sse sse2 ssl -zeroconf -test build_options:
split strip -trace

Note the parenteses around "-aqua". They indicate that the use flag is not
applicable here. The same is true for "altivec", for example, which is special
to PPC processors.

HTH...

Dirk

Old 01-08-2010, 08:52 PM
Dale

Hi,

Based on that earlier reply and Dirk's reply, I would assume this is a
Mac only USE flag. So, this is not possible on a normal PC, old IBM
compatible.

Dale

:-) :-)