Old 01-07-2010, 07:05 PM
Ronan Arraes Jardim Chagas

Default New application: app-portage/kportagetray

Hello fellows,

I already sent this e-mail to Dev ML but I decided to sent it also to user ML
to get more feedbacks.

I started to code a new application to make some daily tasks easier with
portage. It is called KPortageTray.

It is coded with PyKDE, so, unfortunately (or fortunately ) you will need
PyKDE and KDE to install it.
I'm not sure if I make something that will need portage 2.2, if anyone can
tell me I'll appreciate.

By now, I just implemented some very common tasks like:

- Sync portage tree;
- Upgrade world set;
- Check if there are upgrade available;
* I'll make something to schedule it in future versions.
- Upgrade portage version;
- Run etc-update, revdep-rebuild or execute dep-clean at the system.

I used a very simple approach: for every actions that the user must see the
output, a script execute a konsole with kdesu. With this way, isn't necessary
to run the application as root which, in my opinion, is better.

This application can save some typing with daily tasks, but it will never
substitute CLI, since some complicate things is very hard to handle. For
example, if there are some Block, KPortageTray warning the user, show the
output from emerge and let the user resolve it. But, since it is very uncommon
to have a Block, this software can really save some time.

I make some tests but it is at the beginning of development, so I'm asking for
help do add new features / give ideas / report bugs. If the community like it,
maybe I'll open a git repository somewhere.

I took three screenshots:

http://yfrog.com/7akportagetray01p
http://yfrog.com/11kportagetray02p
http://yfrog.com/b6kportagetray03p

And I'm attaching tarball and ebuild (80KiB ~) and I would appreciate if
someone test it and give me a feedback

My future plans is to make possible to use just PyQT instead PyKDE or make a
version using PyGTK.

But, remember, I have started the development on Saturday, so you probably
will found bugs and problems.

Ronan Arraes Jardim Chagas
Control and Automation Engineer
Gentoo Foundation Member
# Copyright 1999-2009 Gentoo Foundation
# Distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License v2
# $Header: media-gfx/digikam/digikam-1.0.0.ebuild, 2009/12/22 Ronis_BR $

EAPI="2"
KDE_LINGUAS="pt_BR"
inherit kde4-base

DESCRIPTION="A set of basic operations for Portage."
HOMEPAGE=""
SRC_URI="${P}.tar.bz2"

LICENSE="GPL-2"
KEYWORDS="~amd64"
SLOT="0"
IUSE=""

RDEPEND="
>=kde-base/kdelibs-${KDE_MINIMAL}
>=kde-base/kdesu-${KDE_MINIMAL}
>=kde-base/konsole-${KDE_MINIMAL}
>=kde-base/pykde4-${KDE_MINIMAL}
dev-python/PyQt4[svg]
dev-lang/python:2.6
"
DEPEND="${RDEPEND}
"

DOCS="ChangeLog"

src_configure() {
kde4-base_src_configure
}

Old 01-07-2010, 11:11 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Thu, 7 Jan 2010 18:05:14 -0200, Ronan Arraes Jardim Chagas wrote:

> And I'm attaching tarball and ebuild (80KiB ~) and I would appreciate
> if someone test it and give me a feedback

% kportagetray
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/kportagetray", line 68, in <module>
KPortageTray_MainWindow = KPT_MainWindow()
File "/usr/share/apps/KPortageTray/KPT_MainWindow.py", line 69, in
__init__ self._dbus = KPT_dbus()
File "/usr/share/apps/KPortageTray/KPT_dbus.py", line 38, in __init__
self._notify =
dbus.SessionBus().get_object('org.kde.VisualNotifi cations',
'/VisualNotifications') File
"/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/dbus/bus.py", line 244, in get_object
follow_name_owner_changes=follow_name_owner_change s) File
"/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/dbus/proxies.py", line 241, in
__init__ self._named_service = conn.activate_name_owner(bus_name) File
"/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/dbus/bus.py", line 183, in
activate_name_owner self.start_service_by_name(bus_name) File
"/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/dbus/bus.py", line 281, in
start_service_by_name 'su', (bus_name, flags))) File
"/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/dbus/connection.py", line 622, in
call_blocking message, timeout) dbus.exceptions.DBusException:
org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name
org.kde.VisualNotifications was not provided by any .service files

Sorry

--
Neil Bothwick

Why is there an expiration date on sour cream?

Old 01-07-2010, 11:40 PM
Mark Knecht

I have no technical opinion about this app but I will say that:

1) It showed up in my GMail spam folder which is uncommon for me on
this list, and...

2) The idea of end-users installing ebuilds themselves from an unknown
individual delivered through an email list is about as insane as it
could be. Just what I need is an untested ebuild that I install and
build myself stealing everything on my system.

As a user and someone who cares about Gentoo I'd like to see ALL
ebuilds banned from this list. Only takes one bad seed and one
not-very knowledgeable user like me to give the distro a black eye it
doesn't deserve.

Yeah, I'm paranoid...

Cheers,
Mark

Old 01-08-2010, 02:33 AM
Ronan Arraes Jardim Chagas

1) You can easily verify the valid of my e-mail looking my signature and/or
searching me at freenode.

2) I'll repeat: this is a development version that I have started to code on
Saturday, so it WILL have bugs and problems, but, like every other open source
application, I need community help to improve it. To be more short: if you
don't stay comfortable to install and test this software, just don't install
or test this software. Many others might want to help the development.

Old 01-08-2010, 02:36 AM
Ronan Arraes Jardim Chagas

I think I forgot a dependency.
Can you check your version of PyQt4 and if it was built with dbus USE-flag?
I'll correct the ebuild, thanks for the help.

Regards.

Old 01-08-2010, 02:41 AM
Iain Buchanan

On Thu, 2010-01-07 at 16:40 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:

> 2) The idea of end-users installing ebuilds themselves from an unknown
> individual delivered through an email list is about as insane as it
> could be. Just what I need is an untested ebuild that I install and
> build myself stealing everything on my system.

"Note that if I can get you to "su and say" something just by asking,
you have a very serious security problem on your system and you should
look into it."
-- Paul Vixie, vixie-cron 3.0.1 installation notes

the problem there would be with the end-user, not malicious-Ronan, IMHO

> As a user and someone who cares about Gentoo I'd like to see ALL
> ebuilds banned from this list.

Negatory Ghost Rider! Ban ebuild attachments, then someone says
"install this ebuild I wrote from http://root.kit.org/die.ebuild ..."
then what? Ban links too?

Gentoo is about learning (and lots of other stuff too) so if it takes
your system to crash before you learn not to run untrusted executables,
then that's what it takes. I have pretty darn good and regular backups,
but only because I once fsck'd my filesystem without them, and I know
how much of a pain that is.

> Only takes one bad seed and one
> not-very knowledgeable user like me to give the distro a black eye it
> doesn't deserve.

You know enough not to try it though. It's also easy for someone to
reply with a BIG FAT WARNING stating as much to others. I think this
distro has enough bruises that it's toughened up a bit Any by the
stage a user can make an overlay, manifest, etc. I think they know a
little bit already.

> Yeah, I'm paranoid...

It's ok to be paranoid, they really _are_ out to get you

But seriously: warn people, sure. Learn about security & ebuilds, sure.
Ban them? Not such a good idea IMHO

> Cheers,
> Mark

catchya,

Ralph's Observation:
It is a mistake to let any mechanical object realise that you
are in a hurry.

Old 01-08-2010, 02:54 AM
Ronan Arraes Jardim Chagas

Sorry,

Can you check if knotify is also installed please?

Old 01-08-2010, 03:44 AM
James Ausmus

[...]

This looks pretty awesome - I'm not in a position to test it right now, but can this be thrown in an overlay so I can get to it in the future easily, and get the updates easily?

Also, have you thought about (optional) support for/integration with eix? I would love to have this just popup a notification that I can click which will show me the (important) info - aka the database diff - from the latest eix-syncs...

-James

*