Old 01-07-2010, 12:17 PM
GerhardosG

Default eth0 failure

Hi ,

on my gentoo-Laptop with AMD - K8 the network

is NOT running :

ifconfig eth0 down

ifconfig eth0 up
Disabling IRQ #5

Why ?????

Old 01-07-2010, 12:32 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Thursday 07 January 2010 15:17:05 GerhardosG wrote:
> Hi ,
>
> on my gentoo-Laptop with AMD - K8 the network
>
> is NOT running :
>
> ifconfig eth0 down
>
> ifconfig eth0 up
> Disabling IRQ #5
>
> Why ?????

<sigh>

Yea gods, not another one.

How on this earth can you expect people to help you if you do not provide
information. We have no idea what machine you have, what network card, what
errors are taking place, what modules, what kernel or anything else that's
important to help you, because you did not say.

My initial opinion as to why your network does not work is that your card is
physically fucked.

Feel free to disagree and prove me wrong by means of:

- relevant dmesg output
- relevant /var/log/messages output
- relevant lspci output
- relevant lsmod output
- relevant uname -a output
- relevant kernel configuration output
- relevant verbose output on the shell when starting the interface
- anything else relevant

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 01-07-2010, 12:35 PM
Zhu Sha Zang

Old 01-07-2010, 12:38 PM
"Zeerak Waseem"

On Thu, 07 Jan 2010 14:32:01 +0100, Alan McKinnon
[...]

You might also want to add /etc/conf.d/net to the list of things to look
through.

OT: I had the same reaction Alan, i had just finished reading the other
one who provided no information. It really is dumbfounding.

--
Zeerak

Old 01-07-2010, 12:56 PM
bn

GerhardosG ha scritto:
> Hi ,
>
> on my gentoo-Laptop with AMD - K8 the network
>
> is NOT running :
>
> ifconfig eth0 down
>
> ifconfig eth0 up
> Disabling IRQ #5
>
> Why ?????

We will never know if you don't give some detail about your hardware,
kernel configuration, etc.

At the bare minimum, the output of lspci -vv relevant to your network card.

In the meantime, read this:

Hope it helps!
m.