Old 01-06-2008, 11:58 PM
Iain Buchanan

Default How to update portage offline with minimal impact?

On Thu, 2008-01-03 at 13:16 -0800, BRM wrote:

[snip]

> However, that is not a solution I can use as I might not be the long
> term maintainer, and I'd like an easier solution as it requires a lot
> of work to download stuff. I'd like a solution similar to the
> following:
>
> # tar xvjf /portage-sources-<data>.tar.bz2 -C /my-portage-sources
> # tar xvjf /portage-<date>.tar.bz2 -C /my-portage
> # emerge --sync --portage-source /my-portage
> # emerge world -vuD --sources /my-portage-sources

This has come up before, so I know some people here have a bit of
experience with doing it. Essentially it's possible. I think the steps
required are:

- download a portage snapshot as you would in an initial install, or
create your own from another gentoo machine (more info here:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=5#installing_portage)
- you may need to run `emerge --metadata` after unpacking it, or
something like that - someone else can comment here
- then follow your manual download instructions: `emerge -ufpDN world`
and download all these packages on another box
- transfer the packages to /usr/portage/distfiles, and check you got
them all with `emerge -ufDN world`. You should have no fetch errors.
- then go! `emerge -uvaDN world`

Notes:
- when creating your own snapshot,
exclude /usr/portage/distfiles, /usr/portage/packages, (and others?)
- I would recommend -N as you might see some new features since you
haven't updated in a while

Hopefully someone will fix any holes I left, otherwise this should work!

There's a lot to be said for not saying a lot.

Old 01-08-2008, 08:47 PM
Per-Erik Westerberg

tor 2008-01-03 klockan 13:16 -0800 skrev BRM:
> I have a couple Sparc systems. One has been running Gentoo for a long
> time - installed using Gentoo 2006, not updated since due to the issue
> I'm about the discuss - and the other is a near identical system that
> might get Gentoo 2007 installed. Both are on two separate networks and
> have no communication between them.
>
> The first system does have some Internet access through a firewall, but
> it doesn't really work, at least for this purpose; so it's just as good
> as not having any access at all for this purpose.
>
> The second system may or may not have Internet access, so for now let's
> just assume it doesn't. It's really this second system that I want to
> figure the problem out for.
>
> In either case, I can't update portage using the normal method of
> 'emerge --sync'. So, I'm trying to figure out a solution that would
> enable me to update the systems. Under Slackware, I'd just point
> pkgtool to the CD media and install from that, just like during
> installation. Is there a similar approach for Gentoo? How do I overcome
> the source mirror issue too so that the systems don't try to download
> stuff from the web?
>
> I could probably host an rsync server on the local systems to host
> portage, but how would I keep it up to date? Would I simply be able to
> extract a tarball into the directory rsync is serving up?
>
> I can get large tarballs or ISOs from other systems to these systems;
> but they won't be able to download them themselves.
>
> I noticed the Manual Download info in the FAQ:
> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/faq.xml#manualdownload
>
> However, that is not a solution I can use as I might not be the long
> term maintainer, and I'd like an easier solution as it requires a lot
> of work to download stuff. I'd like a solution similar to the
> following:
>
> # tar xvjf /portage-sources-<data>.tar.bz2 -C /my-portage-sources
> # tar xvjf /portage-<date>.tar.bz2 -C /my-portage
> # emerge --sync --portage-source /my-portage
> # emerge world -vuD --sources /my-portage-sources
>
> If there isn't a solution, I might look into how to make a solution
> (not sure).
>
> TIA,
>
> Ben

Hi,

Have you tried to use a proxy (adjust accordingly)?

export http_proxy=http://proxy.company.com:8080
export ftp_proxy=http://proxy.company.com:8080
export RSYNC_PROXY=proxy.company.com:8080

BR / P-E