Old 01-06-2010, 05:37 PM
Ricardo Saffi Marques

Default Limit emerge's "wget" bandwidth usage

Is there any way I can configure (pass arguments to) emerge's "wget" (used for fetching) to limit it's rate to a certain amount
of KB/s?

I don't want to make a global/system-wide change, just for portage.

I did find a way to limit the bandwidth while syncing. All I had to do was to put this on my /etc/make.conf:

PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS="--partial --progress --delete-after --human-readable --bwlimit=50"

(for instance).

I do know there is parameter for wget, which is "--limitrate". Any way I could set this inside portage?

Regards,

Saffi

--
Ricardo Saffi Marques
http://www.las.ic.unicamp.br/~saffi/

Old 01-06-2010, 05:45 PM
Alan McKinnon

The answer to supplying custom arguments to portage's download command is exactly where it should be - in a man page.

equery files portage

will list them, it's in section 5

Old 01-07-2010, 12:34 AM
Dominic Reich

Ricardo Saffi Marques wrote:

I do know there is parameter for wget, which is "--limitrate". Any way I could set this inside portage?

it is in the make.conf manpage.
try this website
<http://www.gentoo-wiki.info/TIP_Gentoo_for_dialup_users#Bandwidth_Limiting>