Old 01-06-2010, 04:26 PM
Xianwen Chen

Default About gnash and swfdec

Hi guys and girls,

Have you tried gnash or swfdec as alternatives to adobe flash player?
I tried both of them. The high consumption of cpu resource and the
lack of support to SWF version 8-10 are the main disadvantages in my
opinion. And it seems that swfdec hasn't published a new version for
more than a year. Perhaps gnash is our only hope currently?

Regards,

Wen

--
Xianwen Chen
Scientific Assistant

Office phone: +44 77 64 61 12
Skype: xianwen.chen

Old 01-08-2010, 12:24 PM
Keith Dart

=== On Wed, 01/06, Xianwen Chen wrote: ===
> Hi guys and girls,
>
> Have you tried gnash or swfdec as alternatives to adobe flash player?
> I tried both of them. The high consumption of cpu resource and the
> lack of support to SWF version 8-10 are the main disadvantages in my
> opinion. And it seems that swfdec hasn't published a new version for
> more than a year. Perhaps gnash is our only hope currently?

I did try them, and you are right. Adobe now has a 64-bit version of
their flash plugin and that's what I use now and it works well. I had
to do this, however, to get a clean 64 bit install:

cat /etc/portage/package.use
www-plugins/adobe-flash -32bit -multilib 64bit

-- Keith Dart

--

Keith Dart <keith@dartworks.biz>