Old 01-06-2008, 10:42 PM
Neil Bothwick

Default Any newer Gentoo install CDs?

On Sun, 6 Jan 2008 15:21:07 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:

> My son built a PC Friday using an Asus P5E motherboard. We went to
> install Gentoo 2007.0 and found it didn't see the disk drives and
> hence cannot be installed.

Are these SATA drives? Are the controllers running as AHCI? I have a P5E
variant i this machine and installed on it last Spring with no such
problems (although the kernel used then didn't support my on-board NIC).

--
Neil Bothwick

Forget the Joneses...I can't keep up with The Simpsons.

Old 01-06-2008, 10:45 PM
Dale

Mark Knecht wrote:
> Hi,
> My son built a PC Friday using an Asus P5E motherboard. We went to
> install Gentoo 2007.0 and found it didn't see the disk drives and
> hence cannot be installed.
>
> Clearly 2007.0 is getting quite loong in the tooth so we're
> wondering if there something newer somewhere that we could use?
>
> thanks,
> Mark

If you have two CD drives, you can boot Knoppix or another live CD and
install from there. I have never done this but have read where others
have and had no problem.

Someone else may have a better solution but that is one at least.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 01-06-2008, 10:52 PM
"Mark Knecht"

On Jan 6, 2008 3:42 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
> On Sun, 6 Jan 2008 15:21:07 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
>
> > My son built a PC Friday using an Asus P5E motherboard. We went to
> > install Gentoo 2007.0 and found it didn't see the disk drives and
> > hence cannot be installed.
>
> Are these SATA drives? Are the controllers running as AHCI? I have a P5E
> variant i this machine and installed on it last Spring with no such
> problems (although the kernel used then didn't support my on-board NIC).
>

> --
> Neil Bothwick

Neil,
Thanks for your response, and to Dale also.

The drive is SATA. I'm not familiar with AHCI. (What? Advanced Host
controller Interface or something like that? If this is a driver that
needs to be loaded let me know and I'll try booting again and looking
around.

Not clear if the NIC was installed. My kid wanted to load Windows
and play games with his $300 video card so I let him have fun and
figured I'd try to get this moving on Monday.

I will likely download a new Knoppix CD just to see what happens also.

Thanks!!!

Cheers,
Mark

Old 01-06-2008, 11:11 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Sun, 6 Jan 2008 15:52:14 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:

> The drive is SATA. I'm not familiar with AHCI. (What? Advanced Host
> controller Interface or something like that? If this is a driver that
> needs to be loaded let me know and I'll try booting again and looking
> around.

Yep, good guess

AFAIR, I'm on a different computer now, it was a BIOS option to enable
AHCI for the SATA controllers.

--
Neil Bothwick

"RAM DISK is NOT an installation procedure!"

Old 01-06-2008, 11:31 PM
"Mark Knecht"

On Jan 6, 2008 4:11 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
> On Sun, 6 Jan 2008 15:52:14 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
>
> > The drive is SATA. I'm not familiar with AHCI. (What? Advanced Host
> > controller Interface or something like that? If this is a driver that
> > needs to be loaded let me know and I'll try booting again and looking
> > around.
>
> Yep, good guess
>
> AFAIR, I'm on a different computer now, it was a BIOS option to enable
> AHCI for the SATA controllers.

Neil,
OK, I took a few minutes away from his Half Life game to look at
BIOS. I found the AHCI option and enabled it. Of course he wanted to
get back to gaming so we tried to boot back into Windows but XP goes
blue screen at the first disk access with AHCI enabled.

Possibly XP might work if it installed with AHCI enabled but
typical of Windows it doesn't like configuration changes after it's
installed.

Is there any other solution for this or is the only Linux support
going to require AHCI? It is unfortunately not reasonable or practical
to switch BIOS options when choosing which OS to boot. He uses a
special gaming keyboard that doesn't seem able to get into BIOS so
we're having to attach an old keyboard to do this.

Thanks,
Mark

Old 01-07-2008, 05:53 AM
Dirk Heinrichs

Am Montag, 7. Januar 2008 schrieb ext Dale:

> If you have two CD drives, you can boot Knoppix or another live CD and
> install from there.

Why two?

> I have never done this but have read where others
> have and had no problem.

Yep, did a Gentoo installation on a new laptop using a GRML 1.0 CD (with
only one CD drive).

Bye...

Dirk
--
Dirk Heinrichs | Tel: +49 (0)162 234 3408
D-40468 Düsseldorf | ICQ#: 110037733

Old 01-07-2008, 05:57 AM
Dale

Dirk Heinrichs wrote:

If you have two CD drives, you can boot Knoppix or another live CD and
install from there.

Why two?

I have never done this but have read where others
have and had no problem.

Yep, did a Gentoo installation on a new laptop using a GRML 1.0 CD (with
only one CD drive).

Bye...

Dirk

Well, I was thinking one to boot from and the Gentoo CD in the other
one.* I guess one could work tho.

Glad you got it installed either way.

Dale

:-)* :-)*

Old 01-07-2008, 07:15 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Sun, 6 Jan 2008 16:31:43 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:

> OK, I took a few minutes away from his Half Life game to look at
> BIOS. I found the AHCI option and enabled it. Of course he wanted to
> get back to gaming so we tried to boot back into Windows but XP goes
> blue screen at the first disk access with AHCI enabled.

This laptop is similar, Vista won't boot with AHCI enabled. I guess
Windows just doesn't like standards

> Possibly XP might work if it installed with AHCI enabled but
> typical of Windows it doesn't like configuration changes after it's
> installed.
>
> Is there any other solution for this or is the only Linux support
> going to require AHCI? It is unfortunately not reasonable or practical
> to switch BIOS options when choosing which OS to boot.

You only need to use AHCI to boot the install CD. Then you can build a
kernel with drivers for your SATA controller for the installed system.

--
Neil Bothwick

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:35 AM
"Mark Knecht"

On Jan 7, 2008 12:15 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
> On Sun, 6 Jan 2008 16:31:43 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
>
> > OK, I took a few minutes away from his Half Life game to look at
> > BIOS. I found the AHCI option and enabled it. Of course he wanted to
> > get back to gaming so we tried to boot back into Windows but XP goes
> > blue screen at the first disk access with AHCI enabled.
> >
> This laptop is similar, Vista won't boot with AHCI enabled. I guess
> Windows just doesn't like standards
>
> > Possibly XP might work if it installed with AHCI enabled but
> > typical of Windows it doesn't like configuration changes after it's
> > installed.
> >
> > Is there any other solution for this or is the only Linux support
> > going to require AHCI? It is unfortunately not reasonable or practical
> > to switch BIOS options when choosing which OS to boot.
>
> You only need to use AHCI to boot the install CD. Then you can build a
> kernel with drivers for your SATA controller for the installed system.

Thanks Neil. That's very reasonable and I'll give it a try.

Cheers,
Mark

Old 01-07-2008, 10:53 AM
Galevsky

To boot my linux, I faced a JMicron eSata/Pata controller problem,
that prevented my SATA disk from being recognized. => I had to use a
2.6.23 kernel, founded on the gentoo forum. (the knoppix latest
released I used were 2.6.19 !!!) Do you also have a JMicron controller
?

> Is there any other solution for this or is the only Linux support
> going to require AHCI? It is unfortunately not reasonable or practical
> to switch BIOS options when choosing which OS to boot. <snip>

Of course it is not. You will be able to run linux without any problem
with a recent kernel and all the required modules without AHCI. But
you may be able to run AHCI in both linux and windows too. Have a look
at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Host_Controller_Interface

Quotes for Windows issue:
"Enabling AHCI in a system BIOS will cause a 0x7B Blue Screen of Death
STOP error (INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE) on installations of Windows XP
where AHCI/RAID drivers for that system's chipset are not installed.
Switching to AHCI mode requires installing new drivers before changing
the BIOS settings."

and for linux side:

"AHCI is fully supported out of the box for Microsoft Windows Vista
and the Linux operating system from kernel 2.6.19. Older operating
systems require drivers written by the host bus adapter vendor in
order to support AHCI."

Common problems switching to AHCI under Linux:
* AHCI controller does not work on AMD/ATI RS400-200 and RS480 HBA
when MSI is enabled due to a hardware error. In order for AHCI to work
users must provide the "pci=nomsi" kernel boot parameter. With MSI
disabled in this way, the PCIe bus can only act as a faster PCI bus
with hotplug capabilities. This is also true of the Nvidia nForce 560
chipset.
* AHCI controller on AMD/ATI SB600 HBA can't do 64bit DMA
transfers. 64-bit addressing is optional in AHCI 1.1 and the chip
claims it can do them, but in reality it can't, so it is disabled.
After that it will be forced to do 32bit DMA transfers. Thus DMA
transfers will occur at the lower 4GB region of the memory, and bounce
buffers must be used sometimes if there is more than 4GB of RAM."

Gal'