Old 01-05-2010, 04:20 PM
"Zeerak Waseem"

Default Understanding sets

Hey guys,

I have some questions about sets:
1) Sets are just files with one package per line in /usr/portage/sets,
right?

2) Can a set be included in the world file?
3) With set files in /usr/portage/sets and running "emerge -u @foo"
portage yields that @foo isn't a valid package atom, any idea why this is?

Thanks for any help :-)

--
Zeerak

Old 01-05-2010, 04:41 PM
Alex Schuster

Zeerak Waseem writes:

> I have some questions about sets:
> 1) Sets are just files with one package per line in /usr/portage/sets,
> right?

I think it's /etc/portage/sets instead. And there are also meta-sets like
system, world, module-rebuild, preserved-rebuild and more, defined in
/usr/share/portage/config/sets.conf. There is a little documentation in
the emerge man page, but I have no idea where else sets are documented.

> 2) Can a set be included in the world file?

I don't think so, sets go into /var/lib/portage/world_sets.

> 3) With set files in /usr/portage/sets and running "emerge -u @foo"
> portage yields that @foo isn't a valid package atom, any idea why this
> is?

Your portage is too old? In case of an error, you should get an "emerge:
There are no sets to satisfy 'foo'" message, and a list of known sets.

Wonko

Old 01-05-2010, 04:53 PM
"Zeerak Waseem"

On Tue, 05 Jan 2010 18:41:35 +0100, Alex Schuster <wonko@wonkology.org>
1) Sets are just files with one package per line in /usr/portage/sets,
right?

I think it's /etc/portage/sets instead. And there are also meta-sets like
system, world, module-rebuild, preserved-rebuild and more, defined in
/usr/share/portage/config/sets.conf. There is a little documentation in
the emerge man page, but I have no idea where else sets are documented.

2) Can a set be included in the world file?

I don't think so, sets go into /var/lib/portage/world_sets.

3) With set files in /usr/portage/sets and running "emerge -u @foo"
portage yields that @foo isn't a valid package atom, any idea why this
is?

Your portage is too old? In case of an error, you should get an "emerge:
There are no sets to satisfy 'foo'" message, and a list of known sets.

Wonko

Ah well, having the sets in the wrong place would give me an error.
And regarding portage version, weren't sets included in v. 2.x.x? My
portage version is 2.1.7.16, anything above seems to be hardmasked...

--
Zeerak

Old 01-05-2010, 07:18 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Tue, 05 Jan 2010 18:53:13 +0100, Zeerak Waseem wrote:

> >> 3) With set files in /usr/portage/sets and running "emerge -u @foo"
> >> portage yields that @foo isn't a valid package atom, any idea why
> >> this is?
> >
> > Your portage is too old? In case of an error, you should get an
> > "emerge: There are no sets to satisfy 'foo'" message, and a list of
> > known sets.

> Ah well, having the sets in the wrong place would give me an error.

Yes, but that would be a "set not found" error, not a "WTF is this
@" error.

> And regarding portage version, weren't sets included in v. 2.x.x? My
> portage version is 2.1.7.16, anything above seems to be hardmasked...

Sets need portage 2.2, you'll have to unmask it.

--
Neil Bothwick

Q: How many builders does it take to change a light bulb?
A: "If only it was just the light bulb......we'll have to replace the
ceiling and..........."

Old 01-05-2010, 07:27 PM
Mike Edenfield