Old 01-05-2010, 05:31 AM
"Alan E. Davis"

Default USB Flash Drives automatic mounting breakage (Gnome)

Thank you for taking the trouble to answer.

On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 6:41 AM, Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> wrote:

All I can say (I don't use Gnome and Nautilus to be more helpful with the

specifics) is that there is a difference between mounting a device via hal and

mounting it manually. *I recall that you can't mix the two - when I tried it

on my machine (using Konqueror) it wouldn't work. *I think hal complained, but

can't recall off hand.

It seems to me that it is possible to unmount the drives manually, many times, if not always, if it is impossible to unmount them via nautilus.* Other File Managers work differently, I think Thunar may be more straightforward, not sure, though.* Maybe this will all pass soon enough, but for now, on one of my machines, especially, I have to reboot frequently.* If it's hal that is at work, then perhaps I can restart that?* But when I did something similar, the window manager, at least, restarted.

Thanks again,

Alan

Old 01-05-2010, 10:53 AM
Mick

2010/1/5 Alan E. Davis <lngndvs@gmail.com>:

> It seems to me that it is possible to unmount the drives manually, many
> times, if not always, if it is impossible to unmount them via nautilus.
> Other File Managers work differently, I think Thunar may be more
> straightforward, not sure, though.* Maybe this will all pass soon enough,
> but for now, on one of my machines, especially, I have to reboot
> frequently.* If it's hal that is at work, then perhaps I can restart that?
> But when I did something similar, the window manager, at least, restarted.

I'm at my machine now and can report as follows:

Mounting a USB stick manually by running:

$ pmount /dev/sda1

gives me this mounted device:

/dev/sda1 on /media/sda1 type vfat
(rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,quiet,shortname=mixed,uid= 1000,gid=441,umask=077,fmask=0177,dmask=0077,iocha rset=iso8859-1)

which I *cannot* unmount using Konqueror. Selecting 'safely remove'
does not do anything (and I can't see any messages in the logs on this
version of Konqueror).

Mounting the device using Konqueror allows me to unmount it both using
the Konqueror GUI and manually by issuing pumount /dev/sda1.

PS. I have not set up any fancy USB rules for this drive.
Mick