Old 01-04-2010, 11:55 AM
"Alan E. Davis"

Default USB Flash Drives automatic mounting breakage (Gnome)

Recently, I have had to reboot in order to recover the function of automatic mounting of USB Flash drives, after some activity, such as mounting and umounting.** This is happening on two AMD64 systems.*

I am often able to unmount manually (# umount /media/KINGSTON , for example).** All of my flash drives have labels, and usually they mount on /media, when plugged in.* However, not always, but often, when I have unmounted one of them, the name stays visible on Nautilus, and it is impossible to mount it again by plugging it in.*

Another time, I reorganized the partitions on a flash drive, into one partition.* After this, I was unable to plug it in to mount it.*

Uniformly, the expected behavior is recovered after rebooting.

I am using these drives to maintain git repositories of subdirectories, so I need to be able to access various drives on demand, by pluggint them in.* I am not sure where to look for help.* The USB guide, etc. didnt seem to help.* Is there an init script that I can restart to recover the volume management function?*

Thank you for any ideas.*

Alan Davis
Avid user of Gentoo, knows enough to get into trouble.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:41 PM
Mick

On Monday 04 January 2010 12:55:34 Alan E. Davis wrote:
> Recently, I have had to reboot in order to recover the function of
> automatic mounting of USB Flash drives, after some activity, such as
> mounting and umounting. This is happening on two AMD64 systems.
>
> I am often able to unmount manually (# umount /media/KINGSTON , for
> example). All of my flash drives have labels, and usually they mount on
> /media, when plugged in. However, not always, but often, when I have
> unmounted one of them, the name stays visible on Nautilus, and it is
> impossible to mount it again by plugging it in.
>
> Another time, I reorganized the partitions on a flash drive, into one
> partition. After this, I was unable to plug it in to mount it.
>
> Uniformly, the expected behavior is recovered after rebooting.
>
> I am using these drives to maintain git repositories of subdirectories, so
> I need to be able to access various drives on demand, by pluggint them in.
> I am not sure where to look for help. The USB guide, etc. didnt seem to
> help. Is there an init script that I can restart to recover the volume
> management function?
>
> Thank you for any ideas.

All I can say (I don't use Gnome and Nautilus to be more helpful with the
specifics) is that there is a difference between mounting a device via hal and
mounting it manually. I recall that you can't mix the two - when I tried it
on my machine (using Konqueror) it wouldn't work. I think hal complained, but
can't recall off hand.
Mick