Old 01-04-2010, 10:13 AM
Josť Romildo Malaquias

Default xfce: unable to perform shutdown

Hello.

When shutting down my ~amd64 gentoo system running XFCE, the system
does not shut down and I receive the following error message, and then
the XFCE session is closed.

Unable to perform shutdown
error: org.freedesktop.Hal.Error: Could not determine whether caller
is privileged
org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Error

Any clues?

Romildo

Old 01-04-2010, 10:38 AM
Liviu Andronic

On 1/4/10, Josť Romildo Malaquias <j.romildo@gmail.com> wrote:
> When shutting down my ~amd64 gentoo system running XFCE, the system
> does not shut down and I receive the following error message, and then
> the XFCE session is closed.
>
> Unable to perform shutdown
> error: org.freedesktop.Hal.Error: Could not determine whether caller
> is privileged
> org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Error
>
> Any clues?

Yes. Something similar is happening on amd64 Debian systems (see
[1][2]). The only workaround that I'm aware of sofar is to make sure
no root programs are running when hitting the shutdown/restart button.
Liviu

[1] http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-xfce-devel/2009-April/008492.html
[2] http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-user@lists.debian.org/msg553778.html

Old 01-04-2010, 08:24 PM
dhk

Josť Romildo Malaquias wrote:
> Hello.
>
> When shutting down my ~amd64 gentoo system running XFCE, the system
> does not shut down and I receive the following error message, and then
> the XFCE session is closed.
>
> Unable to perform shutdown
> error: org.freedesktop.Hal.Error: Could not determine whether caller
> is privileged
> org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Error
>
> Any clues?
>
> Romildo

I had a similar problem. I think I fixed it by adding "hal" the the USE
variable in the /etc/make.conf file. Then doing an "emerge -uDN world".

dave