Old 01-03-2010, 12:51 PM
Ognjen Bezanov

Default What standalone GTK2 Engines are available?

Hello,

I used to use xfce-mcs-manager as a lightweight standalone gtk2 engine
for my enlightenment desktop (for using GTK2 themes to render). I've
just reinstalled Gentoo on my machine, and now xfce-mcs-manager is no
more (seems it's been merged deeper in xfce now, so no longer standalone).

An alternative that has been proposed to me is gnome-settings-daemon,
but I'd rather install something lighter that doesn't need all the gnome
libraries installed. Is there any such thing available?

Thanks!

Old 01-03-2010, 01:21 PM
YoYo siska

On Sun, Jan 03, 2010 at 01:51:55PM +0000, Ognjen Bezanov wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I used to use xfce-mcs-manager as a lightweight standalone gtk2 engine
> for my enlightenment desktop (for using GTK2 themes to render). I've
> just reinstalled Gentoo on my machine, and now xfce-mcs-manager is no
> more (seems it's been merged deeper in xfce now, so no longer
> standalone).
>
> An alternative that has been proposed to me is gnome-settings-daemon,
> but I'd rather install something lighter that doesn't need all the gnome
> libraries installed. Is there any such thing available?
>
> Thanks!

lxde-base/lxappearance
x11-themes/gtk-chtheme
x11-themes/gtk-theme-switch

the last one allows one to specify the theme on commandline...
but you don't have to run them all the time like
gnome-settings-daemon... just run them once, select your theme and they
will set up your ~/.gtkrc-2.0 so that all gtk apps will use that
theme from now on... (unless you start up gnome-settings-daemon which
will enforce the theme selected in gnome settings... don't know why they
did it that way...)

yoyo

Old 01-03-2010, 01:22 PM

Ognjen Bezanov <Ognjen@mailshack.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I used to use xfce-mcs-manager as a lightweight standalone gtk2 engine
> for my enlightenment desktop (for using GTK2 themes to render). I've
> just reinstalled Gentoo on my machine, and now xfce-mcs-manager is no
> more (seems it's been merged deeper in xfce now, so no longer
> standalone).
>
> An alternative that has been proposed to me is gnome-settings-daemon,
> but I'd rather install something lighter that doesn't need all the
> gnome libraries installed. Is there any such thing available?
>
> Thanks!

You don't need gnome-settings-daemon. Just GTK+ and some engines
(depending on which gtk theme you'll be using), edit ~/.gtkrc-2.0[1] and
you'll be done.

~~~~~~~~~
[1] e.g.:
# gtkrc-2.0
include "/path/to/theme/gtk-2.0/gtkrc"
gtk-icon-theme-name="Name" # folder at ~/.icons
gtk-font-name="Font Size" # overrides, if set, gtkrc setting
--
What garlic is to food, insanity is to art.
- This message may be digitally signed: GPG KeyID:0x9D2FD6C8 || FNMT SSL cert