Old 12-30-2009, 10:50 AM
Willie Wong

Default Recompiling already installed packages with modification

On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 01:17:52PM +0100, Penguin Lover Frank Schwidom squawked:
> as i noticed the directory /usr/portage/distfiles holds all installed
> sources. What i want to do is modifying the code and reinstalling the
> package. What is the simplest way? Is it possible without modifying the
> ebuild? (i dont want to use make and 'make install' directly)

Well, one way is to run the portage commands manually. And pause after
unpacking to put in your changes. Read 'man ebuild' for how this
can go.

But if you want everything automated: say you want to modify the
source, repackage, and just emerge <pkgname>, then I think you will
have to at least re-manifest the distfile to get the checksum to
match, else emerge won't proceed.

Someone else should be able to give a better response as to what the
standard practice is with patches. I think one of the simplest ways to
do what you want to do is to

*) Make your own overlay
*) create the appropriate <cat>/<pkg> directory
*) Copy over the ebuild. create a files/ subdirectory
*) Put your patch in the files/ subdirectory
*) Add 'epatch "${FILESDIR}"/<patchname>.patch' in the src_unpack
function of the ebuild.
*) digest/manifest... run?

(I hope I didn't forget any step in the above.)

Cheers,

Faye: I am glad that such a foolish man is not around, for I would
surely defenestrate him with great rapidity.
Sortir en Pantoufles: up 1118 days, 10:32