Old 12-30-2009, 10:26 AM
Thanasis

Default RAM installed vs reported

on 12/30/2009 01:08 PM Dirk Heinrichs wrote the following:
> Am Mittwoch 30 Dezember 2009 11:49:39 schrieb Thanasis:
>> I have a netbook (Acer Aspire One A110L) and installed a 1GB DDR2 in the
>> available slot, for a total of 1.5GB or RAM.
>> The BIOS reports it as 1.5GB and so does grml linux (booting from usb),
>> but the installed gentoo linux reports only 904600 kB:
>
> With more than 1G of memory, you should set CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G=y.
> HTH...
> Dirk
I thought CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G had to do with more than 4GB of RAM.
Now I can see that the associated help says it is for an amount between
1 and 4GB.
That should be it. The option name confused me.
I will try it and report back.
Thanks :-)

Old 12-30-2009, 12:00 PM
Thanasis

on 12/30/2009 01:08 PM Dirk Heinrichs wrote the following:
> Am Mittwoch 30 Dezember 2009 11:49:39 schrieb Thanasis:
>
>> I have a netbook (Acer Aspire One A110L) and installed a 1GB DDR2 in the
>> available slot, for a total of 1.5GB or RAM.
>> The BIOS reports it as 1.5GB and so does grml linux (booting from usb),
>> but the installed gentoo linux reports only 904600 kB:
>
> With more than 1G of memory, you should set CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G=y.
>
> HTH...
>
> Dirk
That did it !
Thanks again.
:-)

Old 12-31-2009, 05:41 PM
Thanasis

on 12/31/2009 04:59 PM Krzysztof Halasa wrote the following:
> Thanasis <thanasis@asyr.hopto.org> writes:
>
>> I thought CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G had to do with more than 4GB of RAM.
>> Now I can see that the associated help says it is for an amount between
>> 1 and 4GB.
>
> Depends on the "split" used. With 2 GB : 2 GB you can have all-lowmem
> 1.5 GB RAM, without CONFIG_HIGHMEM*. 2 GB of per-process address space
> is usually not a problem.
How do you implement that? What do you mean 2GB:2GB split ?

Old 01-03-2010, 09:09 AM
Thanasis

on 01/01/2010 03:38 PM Krzysztof Halasa wrote the following:
> Thanasis <thanasis@asyr.hopto.org> writes:
>

>>> Depends on the "split" used. With 2 GB : 2 GB you can have all-lowmem
>>> 1.5 GB RAM, without CONFIG_HIGHMEM*. 2 GB of per-process address space
>>> is usually not a problem.
>>>
>> How do you implement that? What do you mean 2GB:2GB split ?
>>
> See "make menuconfig", Processor type and features -> Memory split. You
> need to select "EMBEDDED" and "EXPERIMENTAL" first. What you need for
> 1.5 GB RAM is VMSPLIT_2G.
>
> The idea is that the CPU address space is divided: ca. 2 GB (in this
> configuration) for user space (for each process - instead of 3 GB),
> 2 GB - 128 MB (or something like that, I don't remember exactly) for
> physical RAM, and the last 128 MB or so for PCI devices and other
> things.

Hmm..., but are EMBEDDED options suitable for a netbook like the A110L ?

Old 01-03-2010, 11:39 PM
Thanasis

on 01/04/2010 01:10 AM Krzysztof Halasa wrote the following:
> Thanasis <thanasis@asyr.hopto.org> writes:
>

>> Hmm..., but are EMBEDDED options suitable for a netbook like the A110L ?
>>
> This "EMBEDDED" just means "don't touch these unless you really know
> what you're doing".
>
> BTW I remember using VMSPLIT 2 GB : 2 GB on server-class machines,
> before they were upgraded to x86-64.

Do you mean that I should try it? Is there any gain over using
CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G ?

Old 01-04-2010, 01:51 PM
Joshua Murphy

2010/1/3 Thanasis <thanasis@asyr.hopto.org>:
> on 01/04/2010 01:10 AM Krzysztof Halasa wrote the following:
>> Thanasis <thanasis@asyr.hopto.org> writes:
>>

>>> Hmm..., but are EMBEDDED options suitable for a netbook like the A110L ?
>>>
>> This "EMBEDDED" just means "don't touch these unless you really know
>> what you're doing".
>>
>> BTW I remember using VMSPLIT 2 GB : 2 GB on server-class machines,
>> before they were upgraded to x86-64.
>>
> Do you mean that I should try it? Is there any gain over using
> CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G ?

Likely nothing noticeable, but here's a bit of a good coverage of the topic:

http://kerneltrap.org/node/6067

--
Poison [BLX]
Joshua M. Murphy

Old 01-04-2010, 04:51 PM
Thanasis

on 01/04/2010 04:51 PM Joshua Murphy wrote the following:
> 2010/1/3 Thanasis <thanasis@asyr.hopto.org>:
>
>> on 01/04/2010 01:10 AM Krzysztof Halasa wrote the following:

>>> This "EMBEDDED" just means "don't touch these unless you really know
>>> what you're doing".
>>>
>>> BTW I remember using VMSPLIT 2 GB : 2 GB on server-class machines,
>>> before they were upgraded to x86-64.
>>>

>> Do you mean that I should try it? Is there any gain over using
>> CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G ?
>>
> Likely nothing noticeable, but here's a bit of a good coverage of the topic:
>
> http://kerneltrap.org/node/6067

Thanks, I think I'll give it a try. :-)

Old 01-04-2010, 05:06 PM
Thanasis

on 01/04/2010 04:51 PM Joshua Murphy wrote the following:
> 2010/1/3 Thanasis <thanasis@asyr.hopto.org>:
>> on 01/04/2010 01:10 AM Krzysztof Halasa wrote the following:

>>> This "EMBEDDED" just means "don't touch these unless you really know
>>> what you're doing".
>>>
>>> BTW I remember using VMSPLIT 2 GB : 2 GB on server-class machines,
>>> before they were upgraded to x86-64.
>>>
>> Do you mean that I should try it? Is there any gain over using
>> CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G ?
>
> Likely nothing noticeable, but here's a bit of a good coverage of the topic:
>
> http://kerneltrap.org/node/6067

Which one option should I choose:
( ) 2G/2G user/kernel split
or
( ) 2G/2G user/kernel split (for full 2G low memory)
?

Old 01-04-2010, 07:01 PM
Thanasis

on 01/04/2010 07:51 PM Thanasis wrote the following:
> on 01/04/2010 04:51 PM Joshua Murphy wrote the following:

>>> Do you mean that I should try it? Is there any gain over using
>>> CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G ?
>>>
>> Likely nothing noticeable, but here's a bit of a good coverage of the topic:
>>
>> http://kerneltrap.org/node/6067
>>
> Thanks, I think I'll give it a try. :-)
I tried option: 2G/2G user/kernel split (for full 2G low memory), but X
would not start. So i reverted back to CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G.