Old 12-30-2009, 09:49 AM
Thanasis

Default RAM installed vs reported

I have a netbook (Acer Aspire One A110L) and installed a 1GB DDR2 in the
available slot, for a total of 1.5GB or RAM.
The BIOS reports it as 1.5GB and so does grml linux (booting from usb),
but the installed gentoo linux reports only 904600 kB:

# free
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 904600 82316 822284 0 9752 37712
-/+ buffers/cache: 34852 869748
Swap: 1638588 0 1638588

# cat /proc/meminfo
MemTotal: 904600 kB
MemFree: 822284 kB
Buffers: 9752 kB
Cached: 37712 kB
SwapCached: 0 kB
Active: 32232 kB
Inactive: 28780 kB
Active(anon): 13848 kB
Inactive(anon): 0 kB
Active(file): 18384 kB
Inactive(file): 28780 kB
Unevictable: 0 kB
Mlocked: 0 kB
SwapTotal: 1638588 kB
SwapFree: 1638588 kB
Dirty: 4 kB
Writeback: 0 kB
AnonPages: 13548 kB
Mapped: 11256 kB
Shmem: 300 kB
Slab: 10356 kB
SReclaimable: 6132 kB
SUnreclaim: 4224 kB
KernelStack: 1424 kB
PageTables: 892 kB
NFS_Unstable: 0 kB
Bounce: 0 kB
WritebackTmp: 0 kB
CommitLimit: 2090888 kB
Committed_AS: 73552 kB
VmallocTotal: 122880 kB
VmallocUsed: 9688 kB
VmallocChunk: 109832 kB
DirectMap4k: 11832 kB
DirectMap4M: 905216 kB

I suspect it has to do with my kernel (2.6.32-gentoo-r1) configuration,
but do not know where to look.
Any suggestions ?

Old 12-30-2009, 10:08 AM
"Dirk Heinrichs"

Am Mittwoch 30 Dezember 2009 11:49:39 schrieb Thanasis:

> I have a netbook (Acer Aspire One A110L) and installed a 1GB DDR2 in the
> available slot, for a total of 1.5GB or RAM.
> The BIOS reports it as 1.5GB and so does grml linux (booting from usb),
> but the installed gentoo linux reports only 904600 kB:

With more than 1G of memory, you should set CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G=y.

HTH...

Dirk