Old 12-30-2009, 07:38 AM
Jon Hardcastle

Default All those helpful post emerge messages...

Guys,

I have just done an emerge -eva system and it has installed/reinstalled/upgraded ~102 packages. When it finished i noticed some of them had some helpful YOU MUST DO THIS steps and i am wondering do they all have those or does emerge cleverly put all the messages at the end where they can be seen and digested?

Cheers.

-----------------------
N: Jon Hardcastle
E: Jon@eHardcastle.com
'Do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring worries of its own.'

***********
Please note, I am phasing out jd_hardcastle AT yahoo.com and replacing it with jon AT eHardcastle.com
***********

-----------------------

Old 12-30-2009, 08:07 AM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Mittwoch 30 Dezember 2009, Jon Hardcastle wrote:
> Guys,
>
> I have just done an emerge -eva system and it has
> installed/reinstalled/upgraded ~102 packages. When it finished i noticed
> some of them had some helpful YOU MUST DO THIS steps and i am wondering do
> they all have those or does emerge cleverly put all the messages at the
> end where they can be seen and digested?

emerge elogv
read /usr/share/portage/config/make.conf.example and learn how to set up elog.
no message is lost ever again.

but if haven't done it already, you are out of luck.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:28 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 10:07:32 +0100, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:

> read /usr/share/portage/config/make.conf.example and learn how to set
> up elog. no message is lost ever again.
>
> but if haven't done it already, you are out of luck.

I thought portage showed all the messages at the end now.

--
Neil Bothwick

A day without sunshine is like night.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:39 AM
Willie Wong

On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 10:28:25AM +0000, Penguin Lover Neil Bothwick squawked:
> I thought portage showed all the messages at the end now.

Which is great in itself. I just hope the OP has a elog set-up or is
not on a console with limited scrollback buffer.

102 packages can have quite a bit of output.

Cheers,

Bakers trade bread recipes on a knead to know basis.
Sortir en Pantoufles: up 1118 days, 10:29

Old 12-30-2009, 05:25 PM
Joshua Murphy

On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 4:07 AM, Volker Armin Hemmann
<volkerarmin@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Mittwoch 30 Dezember 2009, Jon Hardcastle wrote:
>> Guys,
>>
>> I have just done an emerge -eva system and it has
>> *installed/reinstalled/upgraded ~102 packages. When it finished i noticed
>> *some of them had some helpful YOU MUST DO THIS steps and i am wondering do
>> *they all have those or does emerge cleverly put all the messages at the
>> *end where they can be seen and digested?
>>

> emerge elogv
> read /usr/share/portage/config/make.conf.example and learn how to set up elog.
> no message is lost ever again.
>
> but if haven't done it already, you are out of luck.

Not necessarily... at least on my netbook here (running ~x86), with a
very minimal make.conf and not a single line in it regarding elog, I
have

/var/log/portage/elog/summary.log

... which just so happens to have every important emerge generated
message since 2009-10-09 (which I believe was my original start to
this one's build.)

So... I do believe it might be default behavior now to keep, at the
least, a summary log of everything.

--
Poison [BLX]
Joshua M. Murphy