Old 12-28-2009, 09:21 PM
Gmail

Default x11-base/xorg-x11

Hi all,
My laptop runs KDE4 fine without x11-base/xorg-x11 installed. Should we
install x11-base/xorg-x11 if desktop environments such as KDE4, GNOME,
or XFCE4 are used?

Happy New Year
Hung

Old 12-28-2009, 09:29 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Tuesday 29 December 2009 00:21:55 Gmail wrote:
> Hi all,
> My laptop runs KDE4 fine without x11-base/xorg-x11 installed. Should we
> install x11-base/xorg-x11 if desktop environments such as KDE4, GNOME,
> or XFCE4 are used?
>
> Happy New Year
> Hung

Not necessarily.

xorg-x11 is a meta package that DEPENDS on other things needed for an X
session. You obviously have everything you need for an X session, how
otherwise would you be able to run KDE4? (assuming you are not exporting X).

Normally it is advisable to install xorg-x11 so as to take advantage of
updated DEPENDs etc etc. But it's not a must, it's actually a question only
you can answer for you.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 12-29-2009, 12:04 AM
Willie Wong

On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 03:21:55PM -0700, Penguin Lover Gmail squawked:
> My laptop runs KDE4 fine without x11-base/xorg-x11 installed. Should we
> install x11-base/xorg-x11 if desktop environments such as KDE4, GNOME,
> or XFCE4 are used?

Depends. For the most part if you just run emerge a DE or a WM, or an
X-based application, the dependencies will pull in any bits of X that
you will need to have it run.

xorg-x11 is just a meta ebuild that lists a large part of what may be
used for running X. Not everything in it are used by every program.

I installed xorg-x11 personally because I had some home-made add-ons
to fvwm that depends on various X utilities that are generally not a
dependency of anything else. It is slighly more convenient to have
xorg-x11 in my world file instead of the dozen or so small utilities.

Cheers,

Thesaurus: ancient reptile with an excellent vocabulary.
Sortir en Pantoufles: up 1116 days, 23:51