FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 12-28-2009, 11:10 AM
Mike Kazantsev
 
Default Compressed Filesystem

On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 12:58:13 +0100 (CET)
Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@igpm.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for a working and maintained compressed filesystem.
> I'd like to use it for backing up my root and my /usr filesystems,
> so that I can use rsync to keep it up-to-date.
>
> I've come across CompFused which seems to be just what I'm looking
> for, but it's buggy not maintained anymore.
>
> Similarly, fusecompress
> http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=127433
> doesn't build on an up-to-date Gentoo system and doesn't
> look maintained either.
>
> There would be sys-fs/zfs-fuse but that sounds like overkill to me.
>
> Are there any other packages?

Although it might not be stable enough yet, btrfs has support for
compression.


--
Mike Kazantsev // fraggod.net
 
Old 12-28-2009, 11:29 AM
William Kenworthy
 
Default Compressed Filesystem

On Mon, 2009-12-28 at 12:58 +0100, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for a working and maintained compressed filesystem.
> I'd like to use it for backing up my root and my /usr filesystems,
> so that I can use rsync to keep it up-to-date.
>
> I've come across CompFused which seems to be just what I'm looking for,
> but it's buggy not maintained anymore.
>
> Similarly, fusecompress
> http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=127433
> doesn't build on an up-to-date Gentoo system and doesn't
> look maintained either.
>
> There would be sys-fs/zfs-fuse but that sounds like overkill to me.
>
> Are there any other packages?
>
> Many thanks for a hint,
> Helmut.

Tried a few for this and besides the unmaintained part, they dont stand
up to the battering that rsync dishes out - regular corruption.

If you have space, look at dirvish (its in portage) on reiserfs. Tried
it on ext2 and ext3 - more corruption but reiserfs3 with data=journal is
rock solid. The devs reccomend not using a journaled FS for
performance, but I found it essential for my setup.

Dirvish takes the full size for the first backup. Subsequent backups
create hard links to existing files so only differences show up as using
space. After a number of backups, total size stabilises around 2x
original space unless you add some large files, or do an "emerge -ep
world"

Can be easily managed by cron and ssh keys including how many backups to
keep etc. Can use on a local system, or more usually to a remote
machine. Restore is as simple as copying the files back (though special
files an permissions need to be maintained so a simple copy isnt viable
for a full system restore.)

BillK
 
Old 12-28-2009, 05:44 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann
 
Default Compressed Filesystem

On Montag 28 Dezember 2009, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for a working and maintained compressed filesystem.
> I'd like to use it for backing up my root and my /usr filesystems,
> so that I can use rsync to keep it up-to-date.
>
> I've come across CompFused which seems to be just what I'm looking for,
> but it's buggy not maintained anymore.
>
> Similarly, fusecompress
> http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=127433
> doesn't build on an up-to-date Gentoo system and doesn't
> look maintained either.
>
> There would be sys-fs/zfs-fuse but that sounds like overkill to me.
>
> Are there any other packages?
>
> Many thanks for a hint,
> Helmut.
>

reiser4. Bonus, it only tries to compress stuff that can be compressed (the
test is quick&dirty and sometimes wrong, but most of the time good enough).
 
Old 12-29-2009, 07:31 AM
Helmut Jarausch
 
Default Compressed Filesystem

On 28 Dec, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> On Montag 28 Dezember 2009, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm looking for a working and maintained compressed filesystem.
>> I'd like to use it for backing up my root and my /usr filesystems,
>> so that I can use rsync to keep it up-to-date.
>>
>> I've come across CompFused which seems to be just what I'm looking for,
>> but it's buggy not maintained anymore.
>>
>> Similarly, fusecompress
>> http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=127433
>> doesn't build on an up-to-date Gentoo system and doesn't
>> look maintained either.
>>
>> There would be sys-fs/zfs-fuse but that sounds like overkill to me.
>>
>> Are there any other packages?
>>
>> Many thanks for a hint,
>> Helmut.
>>
>
> reiser4. Bonus, it only tries to compress stuff that can be compressed (the
> test is quick&dirty and sometimes wrong, but most of the time good enough).
>

Thanks!
But what's the future of reiser4 FS ? What are the advantages compared
to btrfs ?

Many thanks,
Helmut.

--
Helmut Jarausch

Lehrstuhl fuer Numerische Mathematik
RWTH - Aachen University
D 52056 Aachen, Germany
 
Old 12-29-2009, 12:04 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann
 
Default Compressed Filesystem

On Dienstag 29 Dezember 2009, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
> On 28 Dec, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> > On Montag 28 Dezember 2009, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I'm looking for a working and maintained compressed filesystem.
> >> I'd like to use it for backing up my root and my /usr filesystems,
> >> so that I can use rsync to keep it up-to-date.
> >>
> >> I've come across CompFused which seems to be just what I'm looking for,
> >> but it's buggy not maintained anymore.
> >>
> >> Similarly, fusecompress
> >> http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=127433
> >> doesn't build on an up-to-date Gentoo system and doesn't
> >> look maintained either.
> >>
> >> There would be sys-fs/zfs-fuse but that sounds like overkill to me.
> >>
> >> Are there any other packages?
> >>
> >> Many thanks for a hint,
> >> Helmut.
> >
> > reiser4. Bonus, it only tries to compress stuff that can be compressed
> > (the test is quick&dirty and sometimes wrong, but most of the time good
> > enough).
>
> Thanks!
> But what's the future of reiser4 FS ? What are the advantages compared
> to btrfs ?

reiser4 was denied for 'layer violation'.
btrfs violates those layers even more.

I do no know btrfs. But there are two nice things about reiser4:
it takes your data seriously. It tries everything to make sure your data hit
the platter. Device does not support barriers? Reiser4 detects that and goes
into sync mode.
Second, reiser4 is really, really really fast (except mounting).
 
Old 12-29-2009, 10:01 PM
"Stefan G. Weichinger"
 
Default Compressed Filesystem

Am 29.12.2009 14:04, schrieb Volker Armin Hemmann:

> I do no know btrfs. But there are two nice things about reiser4:
> it takes your data seriously. It tries everything to make sure your data hit
> the platter. Device does not support barriers? Reiser4 detects that and goes
> into sync mode.
> Second, reiser4 is really, really really fast (except mounting).

thinking "ricer" here (ricer vs. reiser ;-) ):

would you recommend it over ext4 for a productive root-fs, considering
speed and safety .... ?

Personally I avoided reiserfs for years after having some really bad
crashes back then .... but sure, things developed since then.

S
 
Old 12-29-2009, 10:08 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann
 
Default Compressed Filesystem

On Mittwoch 30 Dezember 2009, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
> Am 29.12.2009 14:04, schrieb Volker Armin Hemmann:
> > I do no know btrfs. But there are two nice things about reiser4:
> > it takes your data seriously. It tries everything to make sure your data
> > hit the platter. Device does not support barriers? Reiser4 detects that
> > and goes into sync mode.
> > Second, reiser4 is really, really really fast (except mounting).
>
> thinking "ricer" here (ricer vs. reiser ;-) ):
>
> would you recommend it over ext4 for a productive root-fs, considering
> speed and safety .... ?

just think a moment of the tons of bug fixes constantly going into ext4. That
crap is not stable. Pre-alpha maybe.
 
Old 12-29-2009, 11:17 PM
Albert Hopkins
 
Default Compressed Filesystem

On Wed, 2009-12-30 at 00:08 +0100, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> just think a moment of the tons of bug fixes constantly going into
> ext4. That
> crap is not stable. Pre-alpha maybe.

People say this from time to time, yet I have been running ext4 on my
root directory of my laptop since July 2008. The only problem I've had
since then is one time it would not mount on boot. I merely had to fsck
it from a live media an then it was ok (nothing lost or currupted). But
that was a long time ago when it was still ext4dev. And I've had
numerous crashes and battery depletions on the laptop without incident.
So the pre-alpha FUD that some people are spreading is either not true
or I just happen to be the luckiest ext4 user in the world :-).
 
Old 12-29-2009, 11:45 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann
 
Default Compressed Filesystem

On Mittwoch 30 Dezember 2009, Albert Hopkins wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-12-30 at 00:08 +0100, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> > just think a moment of the tons of bug fixes constantly going into
> > ext4. That
> > crap is not stable. Pre-alpha maybe.
>
> People say this from time to time, yet I have been running ext4 on my
> root directory of my laptop since July 2008. The only problem I've had
> since then is one time it would not mount on boot. I merely had to fsck
> it from a live media an then it was ok (nothing lost or currupted). But
> that was a long time ago when it was still ext4dev. And I've had
> numerous crashes and battery depletions on the laptop without incident.
> So the pre-alpha FUD that some people are spreading is either not true
> or I just happen to be the luckiest ext4 user in the world :-).
>

tell that to the people who got their configs zeroed because extX devs value
benchmarks at default settings as more important than your data.
 
Old 12-30-2009, 08:20 AM
"Stefan G. Weichinger"
 
Default Compressed Filesystem

Am 30.12.2009 00:08, schrieb Volker Armin Hemmann:

>> would you recommend it over ext4 for a productive root-fs, considering
>> speed and safety .... ?
>
> just think a moment of the tons of bug fixes constantly going into ext4. That
> crap is not stable. Pre-alpha maybe.

hmm, thanks for that thought ...
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:39 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org