Old 12-28-2009, 06:50 AM
"Alan E. Davis"

Default Howto generate a list of installed packages?

Season's Greetings to one and all.

I would like to be able to generate a script or list of packages of some kind that would enable me to install Gentoo with an identical profile of installed packages.* Since with Debian/Ubuntu one can run

** dpkg --get-selections > file
and
** dpkg --set-selections < file
(or some such), one imagines that the Gentoo gurus/magicians are able to do something similar.

It takes me months to get a new machine up to speed.* In fact, I have just realized I don't have tcsh installed, something I hardly EVER use, but need to run a one of a kind script.*

Can anyone make a suggestion?* Am I missing something?

Thanks

Alan Davis

Old 12-28-2009, 07:37 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Monday 28 December 2009 09:50:31 Alan E. Davis wrote:
> Season's Greetings to one and all.
>
> I would like to be able to generate a script or list of packages of some
> kind that would enable me to install Gentoo with an identical profile of
> installed packages. Since with Debian/Ubuntu one can run
> dpkg --get-selections > file
> and
> dpkg --set-selections < file
> (or some such), one imagines that the Gentoo gurus/magicians are able to do
> something similar.
>
> It takes me months to get a new machine up to speed. In fact, I have just
> realized I don't have tcsh installed, something I hardly EVER use, but need
> to run a one of a kind script.
>
> Can anyone make a suggestion? Am I missing something?
>
> Thanks
>
> Alan Davis

You already have such a thing - it's the entire contents of:

/etc/portage/*
/etc/make.conf
/etc/make.profile
/var/lib/portage/world*

Copy those files to a destination machine, adapt variable things like CHOST
and ACCEPT_KEYWORDS to the new machine, and let portage do it's thing.

If you simply want a list of packages (sans USE flags etc), "emerge -e world"
and parse it through your favourite text pipes (grep, sed, awk, etc) then
redirect somewhere

If you want a list of installed packages with USE flags, "emerge -e world"

Note that these last two just give you a (mostly) human readable list. They
are not much use to portage.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 12-28-2009, 07:43 AM
Dale

Alan E. Davis wrote:

Season's Greetings to one and all.

I would like to be able to generate a script or list of packages of
some kind that would enable me to install Gentoo with an identical
profile of installed packages. Since with Debian/Ubuntu one can run

dpkg --get-selections > file
and
dpkg --set-selections < file
(or some such), one imagines that the Gentoo gurus/magicians are able
to do something similar.

It takes me months to get a new machine up to speed. In fact, I have
just realized I don't have tcsh installed, something I hardly EVER
use, but need to run a one of a kind script.

Can anyone make a suggestion? Am I missing something?

Thanks

Alan Davis

You should be able to copy the world file over and it do pretty much the
same thing. The biggest difference being maybe some change in hardware.

If you want a list of what is installed, try this:

equery list

That should list all packages installed but the majority of them are
dependencies so you should not emerge them individually. Copying the
world file I would think would be the best solution.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 12-28-2009, 07:44 AM
Norman Rieß

Alan E. Davis wrote:
> Season's Greetings to one and all.
>
> I would like to be able to generate a script or list of packages of
> some kind that would enable me to install Gentoo with an identical
> profile of installed packages. Since with Debian/Ubuntu one can run
> dpkg --get-selections > file
> and
> dpkg --set-selections < file
> (or some such), one imagines that the Gentoo gurus/magicians are able
> to do something similar.
>
> It takes me months to get a new machine up to speed. In fact, I have
> just realized I don't have tcsh installed, something I hardly EVER
> use, but need to run a one of a kind script.
>
> Can anyone make a suggestion? Am I missing something?
>
> Thanks
>
> Alan Davis
/var/lib/portage/world contains all packages you installed. Copy that
file over to you new system and do a emerge --sync && emerge -puDN world
and you should be done.

Norman

Old 12-28-2009, 11:46 AM
Roger Mason

"Alan E. Davis" <lngndvs@gmail.com> writes:

> Season's Greetings to one and all.
> I would like to be able to generate a script or list of packages of
> some kind that would enable me to install Gentoo with an identical
> profile of installed packages. Since with Debian/Ubuntu one can run
> dpkg --get-selections > file
> and
> dpkg --set-selections < file
> (or some such), one imagines that the Gentoo gurus/magicians are able
> to do something similar.
> It takes me months to get a new machine up to speed. In fact, I have
> just realized I don't have tcsh installed, something I hardly EVER use,
> but need to run a one of a kind script.
> Can anyone make a suggestion? Am I missing something?
> Thanks
> Alan Davis

You might also consider a stage4 installation:
http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Custom_Stage4

I have just gone through this procedure to re-install gentoo on a laptop
that had not been updated in a very long time.

Cheers,
Roger

Old 12-28-2009, 02:57 PM
Kenneth Prugh

On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 17:50:31 +1000
"Alan E. Davis" <lngndvs@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>
> Can anyone make a suggestion? Am I missing something?

qlist -I (from portage-utils) or eix -I --only-names will give you a
list of everything installed.

Although if you straight installed everything from such a list it would
probably pollute the new machines world file somewhat, but it would be
a good "catch anything I missed".