Old 12-28-2009, 12:58 AM
Marcus Wanner

Default Mothballing a ~arch gentoo system?

When an old (circa 2001) desktop came out of retirement a few months
ago, I shuffled across Linuxes trying to find something that worked
well, and finally hit on gentoo. I eventually switched to ~x86 because I
was tired of using versions of apps from 6 months ago... Too make a long
story short, I have a new computer now and that one is going back into
retirement. I may want to use it more in future and would like to know
how I would go about "mothballing" it so that if it ever needs to be
used again, bringing it up to date will be as smooth and painless as
possible. If I need to resurrect it, it will probably be at least a year
from now. What would you recommend?

Marcus

Old 12-28-2009, 01:45 AM
Dale

Marcus Wanner wrote:
When an old (circa 2001) desktop came out of retirement a few months
ago, I shuffled across Linuxes trying to find something that worked
well, and finally hit on gentoo. I eventually switched to ~x86 because
I was tired of using versions of apps from 6 months ago... Too make a
long story short, I have a new computer now and that one is going back
into retirement. I may want to use it more in future and would like to
know how I would go about "mothballing" it so that if it ever needs to
be used again, bringing it up to date will be as smooth and painless
as possible. If I need to resurrect it, it will probably be at least a
year from now. What would you recommend?

Marcus

Portage is better but that is a while to go without a update. It mostly
depends on what all is updated with some sort of hiccup between the time
you shut it down and the time you try to update it again. If there is
no major problems then it wouldn't be a issue but of there is multiple
packages with issues, then you have a problem.

Me, I would put it in a closet or something with a ethernet cable hooked
up and just update it say once every 6 to 8 weeks. Just hope for the
best after that.

Dale

:-) :-)