Old 12-28-2009, 12:45 AM
Andrew Lowe

Default The current correct way to start kde 4

Hi all,
I've browsed the forums, documentation etc and can find a lot of
options/opinions but nothing definitive. Can someone please point me at
a document that outlines the current "correct" way to start kde 4. I
wish to have kde as the default login manager for all users of a gentoo box.

Any thoughts, greatly appreciated.

Andrew

Old 12-28-2009, 01:24 AM
Kirill Lipatov

http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/desktop/kde/kde4-guide.xml *This is the most appropriate guide. However, I don't see any*problem*with just simple universal install:

1) eix kde-meta packages and choose the ones you would like to install and then simply emerge
# this would pull all of the kde packages# emerge kde-meta * *

# if you would like just the basic set of packages# emerge kdebase-meta
2) in your /etc/conf.d/xdm change the displaymanager option to simply "kdm"

# nano /etc/conf.d/xdm...DISPLAYMANAGER="kdm"...
That'd be it

--
Kirill Lipatov
klipatov@ku.edu

Old 12-28-2009, 01:46 AM
Dale

Andrew Lowe wrote:

Hi all,
I've browsed the forums, documentation etc and can find a lot of
options/opinions but nothing definitive. Can someone please point me
at a document that outlines the current "correct" way to start kde 4.
I wish to have kde as the default login manager for all users of a
gentoo box.

Any thoughts, greatly appreciated.

Andrew

xdm set to use kdm to login? That's what I use here. You can have
multiple uses with it too.

Is that what you are talking about?

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 12-28-2009, 03:50 AM
Kirill Lipatov

well yeah. I just think that setting the kdm as the login manager is the easiest way to automatically start kde4 session after loging in. However, kdm is of course not*mandatory*and it can do more than just start kde4

* *I've browsed the forums, documentation etc and can find a lot of options/opinions but nothing definitive. Can someone please point me at a document that outlines the current "correct" way to start kde 4. I wish to have kde as the default login manager for all users of a gentoo box.

* *Any thoughts, greatly appreciated.

* * * *Andrew

xdm set to use kdm to login? *That's what I use here. *You can have multiple uses with it too.

Is that what you are talking about?

Dale

:-) *:-)

--
Kirill Lipatov
klipatov@ku.edu

Old 12-28-2009, 04:03 AM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Montag 28 Dezember 2009, Kirill Lipatov wrote:
> well yeah. I just think that setting the kdm as the login manager is the
> easiest way to automatically start kde4 session after loging in. However,
> kdm is of course not mandatory and it can do more than just start kde4

OP wrote he wanted 'kde' as login manager. Which implies he wants kdm.

Old 12-28-2009, 05:31 AM
Dale

Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:

well yeah. I just think that setting the kdm as the login manager is the
easiest way to automatically start kde4 session after loging in. However,
kdm is of course not mandatory and it can do more than just start kde4

OP wrote he wanted 'kde' as login manager. Which implies he wants kdm.

That's the way I read it too. I should also note I had a typo in mine.
It should have read *"multiple useRs"*. I sort of left out the r and
made it "uses". It does have multiple uses to but that was not what I
meant.

I need a better keyboard or better fingers. ;-)

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 12-28-2009, 05:49 AM
Andrew Lowe