Old 12-27-2009, 06:46 PM
Jon Hardcastle

Default Upgrade or start over..

Hi all,

I have a gentoo circa 2008 install that i have pretty much the bare minimal to keep up to date... i now have the problem that i need to upgrade mdadm, lvm and probably a few other bits and pieces. This machine is used almost exclusively as a windows file server.

I am getting blocks all over the show and lots of applications needs reinstalling/upgradining on a emerge world. i have also had problems getting the kernel to do what it needs to do a i installed the minimal when i started..

So i am wondering... it is easier to try and upgrade it, or as i have 2 raid 1 drives as the operating system drives and the rest of the drives are pure data, i can disconnect one and wipe the other reinstall from fresh as a degraded raid 1 and when i know we are good to go, wipe the disconnected drive and add to the array to resync and go from there?

N: Jon Hardcastle
E: Jon@eHardcastle.com
'Do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring worries of its own.'

Please note, I am phasing out jd_hardcastle AT yahoo.com and replacing it with jon AT eHardcastle.com