Old 12-27-2009, 04:27 PM
Willie Wong

Default Package gl?

Hi, brand new system I am trying to install.

emerge gets to xorg-server-1.7.3.901-r1 and dies with the message that
the config script cannot find package gl. And it is true, if I issue

pkg-config --libs gl

I get, instead of the expected -IGL

Package gl was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `gl.pc'
No package 'gl' found

Any hints to what package I may be missing, and/or what directory it
should be in?

Cheers,

You will be attracted to an older, more experienced person!
~what appeared in a fortune cookie on 01-14-2002 to Daniel Jonathan Peng
BTW, DJP was sixteen and three quarters...
Sortir en Pantoufles: up 1115 days, 16:17

Old 12-27-2009, 04:34 PM
Willie Wong

On Sun, Dec 27, 2009 at 12:27:47PM -0500, Penguin Lover Willie Wong squawked:
> Hi, brand new system I am trying to install.
>
> emerge gets to xorg-server-1.7.3.901-r1 and dies with the message that
> the config script cannot find package gl. And it is true, if I issue
>
> pkg-config --libs gl
>
> I get, instead of the expected -IGL
>
> Package gl was not found in the pkg-config search path.
> Perhaps you should add the directory containing `gl.pc'
> No package 'gl' found
>
> Any hints to what package I may be missing, and/or what directory it
> should be in?

Oops, I just remembered that I can just look on my other gentoo server
to find where gl is.... and this brings up a new problem!

gl.pc is located in /usr/lib/pkgconfig/gl.pc
equery belongs tells me that it belongs to mesa.

BUT, xorg-server-1.7.3.901-r1 has mesa as a PDEPEND, and mesa-7.7 has
xorg-server as a RDEPEND, which is included in DEPEND, so how the heck
am I supposed to get X working on my laptop?

It is said that papers in string theory are published at a rate
greater than the speed of light. This, however, is not problematic
since no information is being transmitted.
~Prof. Dr. phil. habil. Hagen Michael Kleinert
Sortir en Pantoufles: up 1115 days, 16:21

Old 12-27-2009, 05:01 PM
Willie Wong

On Sun, Dec 27, 2009 at 12:34:06PM -0500, Penguin Lover Willie Wong squawked:
> Oops, I just remembered that I can just look on my other gentoo server
> to find where gl is.... and this brings up a new problem!
>
> gl.pc is located in /usr/lib/pkgconfig/gl.pc
> equery belongs tells me that it belongs to mesa.
>
> BUT, xorg-server-1.7.3.901-r1 has mesa as a PDEPEND, and mesa-7.7 has
> xorg-server as a RDEPEND, which is included in DEPEND, so how the heck
> am I supposed to get X working on my laptop?

Not my day. Keep forgetting to try the obvious solution.
Must have had too much boxing day cheers lastnight.

Not surprisingly, I was not the only one to notice the circular
dependency. The maintainers have already reverted the change that
resulted in the circle by the time I ran into the problems. I just
needed to re-sync.

Cheers,

Ferrets live by a code tried and true
From which humans can benefit, too.
Teach your sons and daughters
To do unto otters,
As otters would do unto you.
Sortir en Pantoufles: up 1115 days, 16:50