Old 12-27-2009, 04:00 PM
Mark Knecht

Default Gentoo & the Real-Time kernel

It's the only kernel I've used in years. In fact I've never run
gentoo-sources for any reason other than installation. With my
HDSP9652 I can run sub-1 mS delays consistently.

You'll find the real-time kernel in the pro-audio overlay as
'rt-sources'. You might consider joining the pro-audio overlay email
list to get questions answered about configuration, not that they
cannot be answered here but pretty much everyone there is running it
exclusively.

Note that the leading edge rt-sources kernel does tend to be a bit
behind the mainline kernel so you'll want to be a bit more careful
with things like closed source video drivers and the like. While not
so bad now there have been times in the past where the nvidia driver
did cause real-time problems. (Called 'xruns' in the audio world due
to the way Jack reports these problems.) I tend to run the Open source
video drivers to simply reduce the number of problems I might run into
but many, many people run both the ATI and nvidia closed source
drivers without any problems.

Have fun,
Mark

Old 12-28-2009, 01:23 AM
Grant

> It's the only kernel I've used in years. In fact I've never run
> gentoo-sources for any reason other than installation. With my
> HDSP9652 I can run sub-1 mS delays consistently.
>
> You'll find the real-time kernel in the pro-audio overlay as
> 'rt-sources'. You might consider joining the pro-audio overlay email
> list to get questions answered about configuration, not that they
> cannot be answered here but pretty much everyone there is running it
> exclusively.
>
> Note that the leading edge rt-sources kernel does tend to be a bit
> behind the mainline kernel so you'll want to be a bit more careful
> with things like closed source video drivers and the like. While not
> so bad now there have been times in the past where the nvidia driver
> did cause real-time problems. (Called 'xruns' in the audio world due
> to the way Jack reports these problems.) I tend to run the Open source
> video drivers to simply reduce the number of problems I might run into
> but many, many people run both the ATI and nvidia closed source
> drivers without any problems.
>
> Have fun,
> Mark

Thanks Mark, I'm going to join that list.

- Grant