FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-06-2008, 11:19 AM
Stroller
 
Default Autofs or ivman?

Hi there,

I was on #gentoo yesterday asking about autofs & someone recommended
ivman instead.

Which does gentoo-users think I should use?

My principal interest is in NFS mounting /usr/portage on my PS3 & an
old laptop, as neither has a lot of disk-space - I have an always-on
server that can export the directory - but also in mounting a bunch
of /media/video/[0..9]/ directories.


I guess I'm likely to use CD / DVD in the near future & USB / CF
flash memory at some point in the future - I can imagine it being
desirable to have the system mount one device as /mnt/external-
harddrive and another at /media/photos (determined by device / vendor
ID?) but I'm not sure if this is the job of the automounter or udev?


Reading the autofs howto [1], it bothers me that common practice is
to have a bunch of /mnt/auto/foo, /mnt/auto/bar, directories
symlinked into the places they're REALLY supposed to go. Another
guide makes a /var/autofs/ tree of directories, but whatever - why do
I have to have this extra clutter of all these extra symlinks?!?! I
just want the network filesystem to be mounted in some sensible
place, just as if I'd typed `mount server:/usr/portage /usr/portage`.
I appreciate there's probably a good reason for the way autofs works,
bit it does make ivman look more interesting.


My concern with ivman is that googling it doesn't turn up a bunch of
beginners' guides the way googling autofs does. The ivman howto [3]
discusses incompatibility problems with different versions, and
indicates that the /etc/init.d/script isn't provided by the ebuild,
but must be managed outside of portage. I don't have a problem with
that, per-se, but it suggests to me that ivman isn't so well
supported, a suggestion which seems to be supported by ivman's
sourceforge page [4] which was last updated February last year and
which says "Ivman is currently developed by ?????"


So it's a bit of a dilemma for me. Because of my compulsive nature,
autofs' clutter of symlinks really bothers me, and ivman's
ConfigActions look really powerful - it looks like you can have it
automatically exec a command when a specific device is plugged in,
for instance.


But I want to set this up once & forget it - I really don't want to
be learning & configuring now a package which will be unsupported in
the future.


Thanks in advance for any comments,

Stroller.




[1] http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Auto_mount_filesystems_(AUTOFS)
[2] http://www.greenfly.org/tips/autofs.html
[3] http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_ivman
[4] http://ivman.sourceforge.net/
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 01-06-2008, 04:25 PM
Alan McKinnon
 
Default Autofs or ivman?

On Sunday 06 January 2008, Stroller wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I was on #gentoo yesterday asking about autofs & someone recommended
> ivman instead.
> Which does gentoo-users think I should use?

Dilemmas like this are best resolved by finding out what problem a
technology was designed to solve.

A good example of the kind of problem autofs solves is exporting home
directories on a large server that has many accounts, used in
conjunction with NFS and NIS, and anyone can log in from any
workstation at any time. This scenario is common - think thin clients

Say you have 100 accounts and user joe logs onto the network. You
*could* export /home to his workstation, but that exposes everyone
else's homedir as well. With autofs you essentially tell the server
that this is user joe, it exports his home dir on the fly, creates a
directory /home/joe on his workstation (/home must already exist)and
mounts the NFS export there.

Now, you don't appear to be doing something like that :-)

You can do many wonderful things with autofs, but it often involves
complex hacks and workarounds, which is the impetus for other solutions
to be developed, like ivman.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 01-18-2008, 02:08 AM
Stroller
 
Default Autofs or ivman?

Sorry for taking so long to reply to this - I've been kinda busy with
work the last few days.



On 6 Jan 2008, at 17:25, Alan McKinnon wrote:

On Sunday 06 January 2008, Stroller wrote:

Hi there,

I was on #gentoo yesterday asking about autofs & someone recommended
ivman instead.
Which does gentoo-users think I should use?


Dilemmas like this are best resolved by finding out what problem a
technology was designed to solve.

A good example of the kind of problem autofs solves is exporting home
directories on a large server that has many accounts...

... With autofs you essentially tell the server
that this is user joe, it exports his home dir on the fly, creates a
directory /home/joe on his workstation (/home must already exist)and
mounts the NFS export there.

Now, you don't appear to be doing something like that :-)


Many thanks for your reply - it was quite insightful. In fact, autofs
would be quite useful for my /mnt/video/[a...z] volumes.


It makes me still wonder, however, why so many people seem to use
autofs for /mnt/floppy, /mnt/cdrom &c, tho'!



... the impetus for other solutions
to be developed, like ivman.


My concern over ivman - which looks ideal for much of what I want to
do - is that it's not clear if it's maintained. For network mounting /
usr/portage I guess I can just use NFS and just stick the mount in
the clients' /etc/fstab, but ivman looks great for automounting
portable media. As I said in my original posting [1], the state of
ivman looks to be in a bit of a mess and I'm kinda reluctant to mess
about with it if it's going to be obsolete in a year or two - someone
please persuade me this isn't going to happen!!


Stroller.


[1] http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.user/192551
--

gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 01-18-2008, 02:32 AM
Jerry McBride
 
Default Autofs or ivman?

On Thursday 17 January 2008 10:08:22 pm Stroller wrote:
> Sorry for taking so long to reply to this - I've been kinda busy with
> work the last few days.
>
> On 6 Jan 2008, at 17:25, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > On Sunday 06 January 2008, Stroller wrote:
> >> Hi there,
> >>
> >> I was on #gentoo yesterday asking about autofs & someone recommended
> >> ivman instead.
> >> Which does gentoo-users think I should use?
> >
> > Dilemmas like this are best resolved by finding out what problem a
> > technology was designed to solve.
> >
> > A good example of the kind of problem autofs solves is exporting home
> > directories on a large server that has many accounts...
> >
> > ... With autofs you essentially tell the server
> > that this is user joe, it exports his home dir on the fly, creates a
> > directory /home/joe on his workstation (/home must already exist)and
> > mounts the NFS export there.
> >
> > Now, you don't appear to be doing something like that :-)
>
> Many thanks for your reply - it was quite insightful. In fact, autofs
> would be quite useful for my /mnt/video/[a...z] volumes.
>
> It makes me still wonder, however, why so many people seem to use
> autofs for /mnt/floppy, /mnt/cdrom &c, tho'!
>
> > ... the impetus for other solutions
> > to be developed, like ivman.
>
> My concern over ivman - which looks ideal for much of what I want to
> do - is that it's not clear if it's maintained. For network mounting /
> usr/portage I guess I can just use NFS and just stick the mount in
> the clients' /etc/fstab, but ivman looks great for automounting
> portable media. As I said in my original posting [1], the state of
> ivman looks to be in a bit of a mess and I'm kinda reluctant to mess
> about with it if it's going to be obsolete in a year or two - someone
> please persuade me this isn't going to happen!!
>
> Stroller.
>
>
> [1] http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.user/192551

I use autofs for just about everything imagineable... What's the problem with
using it for removable media?


--


From the Desk of: Jerome D. McBride
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:32 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org