Old 12-27-2009, 05:01 AM
Michael Holmes

Default USB mass storage device slow in Gentoo, fast in Windows...?

2009/12/27 Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com>:
> On Sat, Dec 26, 2009 at 7:00 PM, Hung Dang <hungptit@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 12/26/09 15:54, Paul Hartman wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I got a Nokia N900 linux internet tablet/phone a few days ago, and
>>> when I connect it in USB Mass Storage mode to a Windows Vista computer
>>> I can write at 17MB/sec, but when I connect it to my Gentoo box my
>>> writes are really slow, between 500-900kb/sec depending on if I mount
>>> in "sync" mode or not. As far as I know it should be just a totally
>>> standard/generic mass storage device. (there were no drivers or
>>> software install needed in windows, it just worked)
>>>
>>> Other USB devices plugged into the same port go full speed, and AFAIK
>>> everything appears as if it should be high speed USB 2.0. Has anyone
>>> seen something like this before? I'm not sure what the deal is. It
>>> takes 20 minutes to copy 1 gigabyte from Linux and takes just under 1
>>> minute to do the same in Windows.
>>>
>>> I'm not sure about debugging USB or what the options are. Everything
>>> I've used previously has worked without any hassle.
>> Have you received a lot of debugging messages at the output of dmesg
>> when copying files?
>>
>> Hung
>
> No errors, no strange messages at all, it seems normal (only slow). I
> have other USB devices like SD card reader, external HDD, and they
> perform at full speed when plugged into the same port, so it's weird
> to me.
>
> Thanks
> Paul

This isn't that helpful, but in Windows I get good thoroughputs in
mass storage mode, but compartively weak ones in sync mode. But this
shouldn't be the problem because as far as I know, there are no
ync-mode drivers for good old Linux (which is ironic if you consider
it).

Old 12-27-2009, 05:10 PM
Paul Hartman

On Sun, Dec 27, 2009 at 12:01 AM, Michael Holmes
<holmesmich@googlemail.com> wrote:
> 2009/12/27 Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com>:

>>> Have you received a lot of debugging messages at the output of dmesg
>>> when copying files?
>>>
>>> Hung
>>
>> No errors, no strange messages at all, it seems normal (only slow). I
>> have other USB devices like SD card reader, external HDD, and they
>> perform at full speed when plugged into the same port, so it's weird
>> to me.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Paul
>>

> This isn't that helpful, but in Windows I get good thoroughputs in
> mass storage mode, but compartively weak ones in sync mode. But this
> shouldn't be the problem because as far as I know, there are no
> ync-mode drivers for good old Linux (which is ironic if you consider
> it).

When I said "sync" mode I mean mounting the device in mass storage
mode with with "-o sync" (as opposed to the default cached/async
mode), which I believe is the default in Windows Vista & Win7 (because
most windows users cannot be bothered to unmount before pulling the
plug).

Thanks

Old 12-27-2009, 06:46 PM
Paul Hartman

On Sun, Dec 27, 2009 at 12:10 PM, Paul Hartman
<paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 27, 2009 at 12:01 AM, Michael Holmes
> <holmesmich@googlemail.com> wrote:

>>> No errors, no strange messages at all, it seems normal (only slow). I
>>> have other USB devices like SD card reader, external HDD, and they
>>> perform at full speed when plugged into the same port, so it's weird
>>> to me.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Paul
>>>

>> This isn't that helpful, but in Windows I get good thoroughputs in
>> mass storage mode, but compartively weak ones in sync mode. But this
>> shouldn't be the problem because as far as I know, there are no
>> ync-mode drivers for good old Linux (which is ironic if you consider
>> it).
>
> When I said "sync" mode I mean mounting the device in mass storage
> mode with with "-o sync" (as opposed to the default cached/async
> mode), which I believe is the default in Windows Vista & Win7 (because
> most windows users cannot be bothered to unmount before pulling the
> plug).
>
> Thanks

Well, after a bit more plugging/unplugging of all my USB devices into
various ports in different orders, it seems to be going fast now. I
hate USB

Thanks for the help

Old 12-27-2009, 06:57 PM
Paul Hartman

On Sun, Dec 27, 2009 at 1:46 PM, Paul Hartman
<paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 27, 2009 at 12:10 PM, Paul Hartman
> <paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, Dec 27, 2009 at 12:01 AM, Michael Holmes
>> <holmesmich@googlemail.com> wrote:

>>> This isn't that helpful, but in Windows I get good thoroughputs in
>>> mass storage mode, but compartively weak ones in sync mode. But this
>>> shouldn't be the problem because as far as I know, there are no
>>> ync-mode drivers for good old Linux (which is ironic if you consider
>>> it).
>>
>> When I said "sync" mode I mean mounting the device in mass storage
>> mode with with "-o sync" (as opposed to the default cached/async
>> mode), which I believe is the default in Windows Vista & Win7 (because
>> most windows users cannot be bothered to unmount before pulling the
>> plug).
>>
>> Thanks
>
> Well, after a bit more plugging/unplugging of all my USB devices into
> various ports in different orders, it seems to be going fast now. I
> hate USB
>
> Thanks for the help

Maybe I spoke too soon. It seems what's happening is when I write a
large amount of data, there are several "pdflush" threads at near 100%
i/o wait. I'm thinking it's writing multiple streams over USB which is
causing the massive slow-down.

I'm using 2.6.31, and I see in 2.6.32 there is something called
"Per-backing-device based writeback" which may help me here... I'll
try the new kernel and report back

Old 12-27-2009, 07:58 PM
Paul Hartman

On Sun, Dec 27, 2009 at 1:57 PM, Paul Hartman
<paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 27, 2009 at 1:46 PM, Paul Hartman
> <paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, Dec 27, 2009 at 12:10 PM, Paul Hartman
>> <paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> When I said "sync" mode I mean mounting the device in mass storage
>>> mode with with "-o sync" (as opposed to the default cached/async
>>> mode), which I believe is the default in Windows Vista & Win7 (because
>>> most windows users cannot be bothered to unmount before pulling the
>>> plug).
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>
>> Well, after a bit more plugging/unplugging of all my USB devices into
>> various ports in different orders, it seems to be going fast now. I
>> hate USB
>>
>> Thanks for the help
>
> Maybe I spoke too soon. It seems what's happening is when I write a
> large amount of data, there are several "pdflush" threads at near 100%
> i/o wait. I'm thinking it's writing multiple streams over USB which is
> causing the massive slow-down.
>
> I'm using 2.6.31, and I see in 2.6.32 there is something called
> "Per-backing-device based writeback" which may help me here... I'll
> try the new kernel and report back

There is a slight improvement but it's still very slow (less than
2MB/sec). It seems the problem happens if I try to copy more than 1
file to the device. If I copy/sync/copy/sync/copy/sync etc it goes
faster, but that's extremely annoying!