Old 12-26-2009, 04:29 PM
Xi Shen

Default kde-4.3 tweenview does not work

hi,

my system is gentoo amd64, kde-4.3, my graphic card is nvidia's. i use
nvidia-settings to set up my two displayer to work in the tweenview
mode. it supposed to have two separate desktop, instead it have a
large desktop expand two displayer.

on gnome and windows, tweenview always sets up two separate desktop.
how can i set this on kde?

--
Best Regards,
David Shen

http://twitter.com/davidshen84/
http://meme.yahoo.com/davidshen84/

Old 12-26-2009, 08:13 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Saturday 26 December 2009 19:29:10 Xi Shen wrote:
> hi,
>
> my system is gentoo amd64, kde-4.3, my graphic card is nvidia's. i use
> nvidia-settings to set up my two displayer to work in the tweenview
> mode. it supposed to have two separate desktop, instead it have a
> large desktop expand two displayer.
>
> on gnome and windows, tweenview always sets up two separate desktop.
> how can i set this on kde?

Per the nvidia-driver docs (/usr/share/doc/nvidia-drivers-190.53/README.bz2),
TwinView is designed to give you one large desktop and there's not much you
can do about that in KDE.

See Chap 15 of that same doc for a description of how to configure two
separate screens.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 12-28-2009, 02:54 AM
Xi Shen

have they changed the definition of the word, or i were wrong at the
first place?

Old 12-28-2009, 02:59 AM
Xi Shen

On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 11:54 AM, Xi Shen <davidshen84@googlemail.com> wrote:
> have they changed the definition of the word, or i were wrong at the
> first place?
>

> On Sun, Dec 27, 2009 at 5:13 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Saturday 26 December 2009 19:29:10 Xi Shen wrote:
>>> hi,
>>>
>>> my system is gentoo amd64, kde-4.3, my graphic card is nvidia's. i use
>>> nvidia-settings to set up my two displayer to work in the tweenview
>>> mode. it supposed to have two separate desktop, instead it have a
>>> large desktop expand two displayer.
>>>
>>> on gnome and windows, tweenview always sets up two separate desktop.
>>> how can i set this on kde?
>>>

>> Per the nvidia-driver docs (/usr/share/doc/nvidia-drivers-190.53/README.bz2),
>> TwinView is designed to give you one large desktop and there's not much you
>> can do about that in KDE.
>>
>> See Chap 15 of that same doc for a description of how to configure two
>> separate screens.
>>
>> --
>> alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
>>

> --
> Best Regards,
> David Shen
>
> http://twitter.com/davidshen84/
> http://meme.yahoo.com/davidshen84/

why i cannot find the file you mentioned? it looks like i do not have
it installed. how can i install it?

Old 12-28-2009, 04:24 AM
"John H. Moe"

Xi Shen wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 11:54 AM, Xi Shen <davidshen84@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> have they changed the definition of the word, or i were wrong at the
>> first place?

>>> Per the nvidia-driver docs (/usr/share/doc/nvidia-drivers-190.53/README.bz2),
>>> TwinView is designed to give you one large desktop and there's not much you
>>> can do about that in KDE.
>>>
>>> See Chap 15 of that same doc for a description of how to configure two
>>> separate screens.
>>>
>>> --
>>> alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
>>>

>> --
>> Best Regards,
>> David Shen
>>
>> http://twitter.com/davidshen84/
>> http://meme.yahoo.com/davidshen84/
>>

> why i cannot find the file you mentioned? it looks like i do not have
> it installed. how can i install it?

It should get installed with nvidia-drivers:

jmoe@jhb5970 ~ $ equery belongs
/usr/share/doc/nvidia-drivers-185.18.36/README.bz2
[ Searching for file(s)
/usr/share/doc/nvidia-drivers-185.18.36/README.bz2 in *... ]
x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-185.18.36
(/usr/share/doc/nvidia-drivers-185.18.36/README.bz2)

You may have to substitute your nvidia-drivers version number for the
185.18.36 in my path, or the 190.53 in Alan's path?

John H. Moe

Old 12-28-2009, 05:55 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Monday 28 December 2009 05:54:31 Xi Shen wrote:
> have they changed the definition of the word, or i were wrong at the
> first place?

I've never heard of tweenview, but Nvidia has had a thing called TwinView for
ages.

And nvidia also likes to do their own thing in their own way. They even rip
out the X DRI and GLX stuff and replace it with their own, so they could
easily make TwinView work differently as well...

But I haven't seen that they did change things. For me, it's working as it
always did.

Old 01-08-2010, 02:49 PM
Xi Shen

On Sun, Dec 27, 2009 at 5:13 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Saturday 26 December 2009 19:29:10 Xi Shen wrote:
>> hi,
>>
>> my system is gentoo amd64, kde-4.3, my graphic card is nvidia's. i use
>> nvidia-settings to set up my two displayer to work in the tweenview
>> mode. it supposed to have two separate desktop, instead it have a
>> large desktop expand two displayer.
>>
>> on gnome and windows, tweenview always sets up two separate desktop.
>> how can i set this on kde?
>>

> Per the nvidia-driver docs (/usr/share/doc/nvidia-drivers-190.53/README.bz2),
> TwinView is designed to give you one large desktop and there's not much you
> can do about that in KDE.
>
> See Chap 15 of that same doc for a description of how to configure two
> separate screens.
>
> --
> alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

i found this README file. i do not know why it is not installed on one
of my gentoo server.

i followed the chapter 15 to configure my xorg.conf file. and i made a
very little progress

now, after X started, i only have only one monitor displaying a
desktop. the other monitor is black, however, i can move my mouse to
that monitor. but i cannot move any window to that monitor. when i
move my mouse to that monitor, the mouse is displayed as a "X", looks
like when you run "X -config xorg.conf.new" to test if the X is set up
correctly. i attached my xorg.conf file. i hope you can help me fix
this