Old 12-25-2009, 01:23 PM
Erik

Default Clean shutdown of laptop possible after migration to KDE4?

After migrating to KDE4 it seems like the laptop just dies when the
battery becomes empty. In KDE3 I could set klaptopdaemon to warn when
the estimated remaining battery time is 15 minutes and begin a clean
shutdown when it is 10 minutes. It worked very well. Is it somehow
possible to get a clean shutdown in KDE4? I do not want to loose a
filesystem because of it.

Old 12-25-2009, 05:47 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Friday 25 December 2009 16:23:23 Erik wrote:
> After migrating to KDE4 it seems like the laptop just dies when the
> battery becomes empty. In KDE3 I could set klaptopdaemon to warn when
> the estimated remaining battery time is 15 minutes and begin a clean
> shutdown when it is 10 minutes. It worked very well. Is it somehow
> possible to get a clean shutdown in KDE4? I do not want to loose a
> filesystem because of it.

System Settings -> Advanced -> Power Management

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 12-25-2009, 09:52 PM
Erik

Alan McKinnon skrev:
> On Friday 25 December 2009 16:23:23 Erik wrote:
>> After migrating to KDE4 it seems like the laptop just dies when the
>> battery becomes empty. In KDE3 I could set klaptopdaemon to warn when
>> the estimated remaining battery time is 15 minutes and begin a clean
>> shutdown when it is 10 minutes. It worked very well. Is it somehow
>> possible to get a clean shutdown in KDE4? I do not want to loose a
>> filesystem because of it.
>
> System Settings -> Advanced -> Power Management

Unfortunately I do not seem to have it. All that I have under System
Settings -> Advanced is:
Adapt the desktop theme
Automatic start
Device actions
Filebindings
Fetch from CDDB
Hardware
KDE-wallet
KDE-resources
Session manager
Desktop search
Service manager
-------------------------------------
Login manager

Which package should I install?

Old 12-26-2009, 09:07 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Saturday 26 December 2009 00:52:31 Erik wrote:
> Alan McKinnon skrev:
> > On Friday 25 December 2009 16:23:23 Erik wrote:
> >> After migrating to KDE4 it seems like the laptop just dies when the
> >> battery becomes empty. In KDE3 I could set klaptopdaemon to warn when
> >> the estimated remaining battery time is 15 minutes and begin a clean
> >> shutdown when it is 10 minutes. It worked very well. Is it somehow
> >> possible to get a clean shutdown in KDE4? I do not want to loose a
> >> filesystem because of it.
> >
> > System Settings -> Advanced -> Power Management
>
> Unfortunately I do not seem to have it. All that I have under System
> Settings -> Advanced is:
> Adapt the desktop theme
> Automatic start
> Device actions
> Filebindings
> Fetch from CDDB
> Hardware
> KDE-wallet
> KDE-resources
> Session manager
> Desktop search
> Service manager
> -------------------------------------
> Login manager
>
> Which package should I install?

Off hand, I have no idea :-)

What version of KDE did you install? Do you use -meta packages, or sets?

Please supply all the usual info - emerge -pv output with USE flags etc

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 12-26-2009, 03:18 PM
Erik

Alan McKinnon skrev:
> On Saturday 26 December 2009 00:52:31 Erik wrote:
>
>> Alan McKinnon skrev:

>>> System Settings -> Advanced -> Power Management
>>>
>> Unfortunately I do not seem to have it. All that I have under System
>> Settings -> Advanced is:
>> Adapt the desktop theme
>> Automatic start
>> Device actions
>> Filebindings
>> Fetch from CDDB
>> Hardware
>> KDE-wallet
>> KDE-resources
>> Session manager
>> Desktop search
>> Service manager
>> Login manager
>>
>> Which package should I install?
>>

> What version of KDE did you install?

4.3.3

> Do you use -meta packages, or sets?

No, but now I tried "emerge -pv kdebase-meta" and it gave me a list of
23 packages that I did not have installed, among them powerdevil, which
seems to be the one.