Old 12-24-2009, 09:16 PM
Daniel D Jones

Default Spellcheck not working in Kmail

Options/Automatic Spellchecking is checked and the status line at the bottom
of Composer shows "Spellcheck: on." Manually selecting Tools/Spelling shows
the message "Spell check complete." But no mispelled words are marked,
including nonsense strings like "lakjdfh."

ispell is installed. I can go to a command line and run the ispell program,
which allows you to manually enter words. Correctly spelled English words get
a response of "OK." MIsspelled words get a response of "Not Found." That
seems to indicate that ispell is installed, the English dictionary is
installed, and all is functioning normally.

Anyone have a clue why it's not working in Kmail Composer?

--
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a
hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a

Old 12-24-2009, 11:36 PM
Stroller

On 24 Dec 2009, at 22:16, Daniel D Jones wrote:

> Options/Automatic Spellchecking is checked and the status line at the bottom
> of Composer shows "Spellcheck: on." Manually selecting Tools/Spelling shows
> the message "Spell check complete." But no mispelled words are marked,
> including nonsense strings like "lakjdfh."

It's been a long time since I used KDE / Kmail, at least since I did so seriously. But I seem to recall there is an option in the preferences to set the path to the spell-checker. This may be changes to "/usr/bin/aspell", to ispell or whatever. I would not be surprised if there is at least one other alternate spell-checker by now - maybe ispell is no longer the default? This preference may be centralised in the main KControl options panel, rather than in the Kmail-specific options, assuming I am recalling its existence correctly.

Stroller.

Old 12-25-2009, 09:32 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Friday 25 December 2009 02:36:08 Stroller wrote:
> On 24 Dec 2009, at 22:16, Daniel D Jones wrote:
> > Options/Automatic Spellchecking is checked and the status line at the
> > bottom of Composer shows "Spellcheck: on." Manually selecting
> > Tools/Spelling shows the message "Spell check complete." But no
> > mispelled words are marked, including nonsense strings like "lakjdfh."
>
> It's been a long time since I used KDE / Kmail, at least since I did so
> seriously. But I seem to recall there is an option in the preferences to
> set the path to the spell-checker. This may be changes to
> "/usr/bin/aspell", to ispell or whatever. I would not be surprised if
> there is at least one other alternate spell-checker by now - maybe ispell
> is no longer the default? This preference may be centralised in the main
> KControl options panel, rather than in the Kmail-specific options,
> assuming I am recalling its existence correctly.

Somewhere in System Settings there is an option to set the global language for
all KDE apps.

This has caught me out before

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com