Old 12-24-2009, 08:53 PM
bn

Default The Great Macbook Update 1: Audio

Hi,

I am updating my Macbook Pro installation. While many programs I updated
often, the basics (Xorg, kernel, etc.) were taking dust since... well, a
lot. I only found time with these holidays. This is therefore probably
the first thread of a long series...

To make it short: The machine is a late-2007 Macbook Pro which I updated
from vanilla-sources 2.6.24-rc6 to gentoo-sources-2.6.31.6. Everything
essential seems to work fine, apart from audio. Audio card is
recognized, the hardware (from lshw) is:

product: 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 1b
bus info: pci@0000:00:1b.0
version: 03
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list
configuration: driver=HDA Intel latency=0 module=snd_hda_intel

The situation is a classic: everything *seems* recognized, no program
compalins, *but* I hear only silence, no audio.

alsamixer and kmix agree on everything being turned on. Where should I
try to look?

Thanks!
m.