Old 12-24-2009, 03:24 PM
Daniel D Jones

Default Grub boots to command prompt - solved

On Thursday 24 December 2009 08:52:37 Daniel D Jones wrote:
> Just did a stage 3 install following a HD crash on a new HD. The initial
> install went without issue and I booted from the HD normally. I then went
> through and installed a bunch of packages - xorg, kde, etc. I installed
> genkernel, compiled a custom kernel, and updated /boot/grub/menu.lst.
>
> Upon rebooting, I ended up at a grub command line. I can setup the hard
> drive without errors:
>
> grub> root (hd0,0)
> Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
>
> grub> setup (hd0)
> Checking if "/boot/grub/stage1" exists... yes
> Checking if "/boot/grub/stage2" exists... yes
> Checking if "/boot/grub/e2fs_stage1_5" exists... yes
> Running "embed /boot/grub/e2fs_stage1_5 (hd0)"... 17 sectors are
> embedded. succeeded
> Running "install /boot/grub/stage1 (hd0) (hd0)1+17 p
> (hd0,0)/boot/grub/stage2 /boot/grub/menu.lst"... succeeded
> Done.
>
> No errors, says everything's good. Reboot and I'm right back at the
> command line.

Found the issue. For some reason, the default menu.lst created with the stage
3 install had the title line commented out. When I added the new genkernel to
the file, I copied and pasted, then edited the kernel line. My guess is that
grub uses the title line as the flag to break between options. With both title
lines commented out, it saw a single option block with multiple kernel
statements. Uncommenting the title lines corrected the issue.

--
"The unnatural, that too is natural." - Goethe