Old 12-24-2009, 03:02 PM
alex ponomarev

Default Install Gentoo 64bit from 32bit running enviroment

Hello.
*** If you want to test for 64bit extensions processor support, why won't you try it in VirtualBox or VMware? I think it's better for tests than install a second system on your second partition. Much faster and easier to use virtualization, no?

Old 12-25-2009, 09:41 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Thursday 24 December 2009 16:33:26 Carlos Moyano Cubillos wrote:
> Dear friends,
>
> I have a gentoo system running 32bit .. and I have a 30GB partition
> available on which I would like to install a 64bit Gentoo to test for
> 64bit extensions processor supports .
>

> someone could help me and tell me how to proceed with this
> installation from my running system without having to reboot with a
> livecd.

You have to reboot with a LiveCD.

Your running 32 bit kernel does not support 64 bit instructions and there is
no magic voodoo to make it possible. The CPU might understand 64 bit
instructions but the running kernel that drives it definitely does not.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 12-26-2009, 11:05 AM
Francisco Ares

On Fri, Dec 25, 2009 at 8:41 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thursday 24 December 2009 16:33:26 Carlos Moyano Cubillos wrote:

> Dear friends,

> I have a gentoo system running 32bit .. and I have a 30GB partition

> available on which I would like to install a 64bit Gentoo to test for

> 64bit extensions processor supports .

> someone could help me and tell me how to proceed with this

> installation from my running system without having to reboot with a

> livecd.

You have to reboot with a LiveCD.

Your running 32 bit kernel does not support 64 bit instructions and there is

no magic voodoo to make it possible. The CPU might understand 64 bit

instructions but the running kernel that drives it definitely does not.

--

alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

I don't know for sure, but I would guess that if you don't try to use any file from the new 64 bit partition, that would be fine.

AFAIK you can install a 64 bit system using the 32 bit livecd.

Just a guess, though

Francisco
--
"If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas." - George Bernard Shaw

Old 12-26-2009, 11:50 AM
Jesús Guerrero

On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 10:05:52 -0200, Francisco Ares <frares@gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 25, 2009 at 8:41 AM, Alan McKinnon
> <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> On Thursday 24 December 2009 16:33:26 Carlos Moyano Cubillos wrote:
>> > Dear friends,
>> >
>> > I have a gentoo system running 32bit .. and I have a 30GB partition
>> > available on which I would like to install a 64bit Gentoo to test for
>> > 64bit extensions processor supports .
>> >

>> > someone could help me and tell me how to proceed with this
>> > installation from my running system without having to reboot with a
>> > livecd.
>>
>> You have to reboot with a LiveCD.
>>
>> Your running 32 bit kernel does not support 64 bit instructions and
there
>> is
>> no magic voodoo to make it possible. The CPU might understand 64 bit
>> instructions but the running kernel that drives it definitely does not.
>>
>> --
>> alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
>>

> I don't know for sure, but I would guess that if you don't try to use
any
> file from the new 64 bit partition, that would be fine.
>
> AFAIK you can install a 64 bit system using the 32 bit livecd.
>
> Just a guess, though
>
> Francisco

You can uncompress the stage files and such, but chroot will fail because
you will be attempting to run a 64 bits bash binary against the 32 bits
underlying kernel, which will not work. The opposite would be possible
though, you can chroot to a 32 bit userland from a 64 bits kernel. But not
the other way around.

--
Jesús Guerrero

Old 12-26-2009, 12:41 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Saturday 26 December 2009 14:05:52 Francisco Ares wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 25, 2009 at 8:41 AM, Alan McKinnon
<alan.mckinnon@gmail.com>wrote:
> > On Thursday 24 December 2009 16:33:26 Carlos Moyano Cubillos wrote:
> > > Dear friends,
> > >
> > > I have a gentoo system running 32bit .. and I have a 30GB partition
> > > available on which I would like to install a 64bit Gentoo to test for
> > > 64bit extensions processor supports .
> > >

> > > someone could help me and tell me how to proceed with this
> > > installation from my running system without having to reboot with a
> > > livecd.
> >
> > You have to reboot with a LiveCD.
> >
> > Your running 32 bit kernel does not support 64 bit instructions and there
> > is
> > no magic voodoo to make it possible. The CPU might understand 64 bit
> > instructions but the running kernel that drives it definitely does not.
> >
> > --
> > alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
>
> I don't know for sure, but I would guess that if you don't try to use any
> file from the new 64 bit partition, that would be fine.
>
> AFAIK you can install a 64 bit system using the 32 bit livecd.
>
> Just a guess, though

Think it through. The OP wants to install a 64 bit OS using a running 32 bit
system. Now, this can work with a pure binary distro - you are just copying
files after all with those installs.

But this is Gentoo, and he'll have to build something sometime. The absolute
minimum is to build a 64 kernel as that is not supplied in binary form. How
will a running 32 bit system generate 64 bit code?

At some point he's going to have to reboot, even if just to use the new OS.
But before he uses it for real, he'll have to rebuild most of it. That will
take a good few hours as opposed to the 20 minutes or so to do the original
install. What has he saved? Very little - 20 minutes at most.

Far easier to just reboot into a LiveCD and install from there. No sense in
spending large numbers of dollars to save small numbers of pennies

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 12-31-2009, 10:20 PM
Kyle Bader

I'm pretty sure chrooting to 64bit from 32 bit kernel won't work, so
you'll have to reboot into a 64 bit environment.

--
Sent from my mobile device

Kyle