Old 12-22-2009, 10:25 PM
Willie Wong

Default Writing a bash script or thinking about it anyway.

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 11:34:34AM +0100, Penguin Lover Jes??s Guerrero squawked:
> The advanced bash scripting guide will be equally valid nowadays as it was
> when it was first written. A few minor edges have changed in bash in the
> latest times, but you are unlikely to get touched by these unless you are
> using some rare feature. After all, bash is compatible with the original
> bourne shell to a big extent, and that part of its behavior never changes.

Really? I had quite a few scripts die on me in the Bash 3.1-3.2
change. One of the problems is complained about enough that they now
introduced a compatibility level (item l on the ChangeLog
http://tiswww.case.edu/php/chet/bash/NEWS )

But given that the ABS was last updated this year, I should say
anything in it is up-to-date enough.

You're not paranoid.
The world _IS_ fucked.
Sortir en Pantoufles: up 1110 days, 22:12

Old 12-22-2009, 10:30 PM
Willie Wong

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 11:16:36AM +0000, Penguin Lover Stroller squawked:
> On 22 Dec 2009, at 03:22, Dale wrote:
>> ... I found a guide but before I read all that stuff and muddy up the
>> waters, is this thing current and will it work fine with the bash Gentoo
>> uses? Links to a even better guide would be good too. The guide I found
>> is here:
>>
>> http://tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/
>
> The Advanced Scripting Guide is brilliant. It's my gospel when Bash
> scripting, although I'll admit I haven't looked harder for anything else.
> If there is any better guide out there, I would love to hear about it.

I agree. For learning the ropes there's the ABS, for everything else
there is the man/info pages. (Learning Bash was the reason that I
learned gnu info. That one man page is just way too long.)

Ever stop to think, and forget to start again?
Sortir en Pantoufles: up 1110 days, 22:19