Old 12-22-2009, 03:38 PM
Mark Knecht

Default Mail from rkhunter

Hi,
What's the minimum configuration required on a remote system to get
rkhunter to email my GMail account if the rkhunter cron job finds
something suspicious?

Do I have to emerge and configure an email server of some type or
can rkhunter just send email on its own?

Thanks,
Mark

Old 12-22-2009, 06:55 PM
forgottenwizard

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 08:38:14AM -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
> Hi,
> What's the minimum configuration required on a remote system to get
> rkhunter to email my GMail account if the rkhunter cron job finds
> something suspicious?
>
> Do I have to emerge and configure an email server of some type or
> can rkhunter just send email on its own?
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

On my system I use esmtp to send outgoing mail. It can also handle local mail
via procmail.

--
30. All bumbling conjurers, clumsy squires, no-talent bards, and cowardly
thieves in the land will be preemptively put to death. My foes will surely give

Old 12-25-2009, 10:07 AM
Florian Philipp

Mark Knecht schrieb:
> Hi,
> What's the minimum configuration required on a remote system to get
> rkhunter to email my GMail account if the rkhunter cron job finds
> something suspicious?
>
> Do I have to emerge and configure an email server of some type or
> can rkhunter just send email on its own?
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

ssmtp or any other sendmail replacement will be sufficient. Just look at
their respective config files for filling in your account data.

Old 12-26-2009, 11:08 AM
Francisco Ares

On Fri, Dec 25, 2009 at 9:07 AM, Florian Philipp <lists@f_philipp.fastmail.net> wrote:

Mark Knecht schrieb:

> Hi,

> * *What's the minimum configuration required on a remote system to get

> rkhunter to email my GMail account if the rkhunter cron job finds

> something suspicious?

> * *Do I have to emerge and configure an email server of some type or

> can rkhunter just send email on its own?

> Thanks,

> Mark

ssmtp or any other sendmail replacement will be sufficient. Just look at

their respective config files for filling in your account data.

http://www.yak.net/fqa/84.html

hope this helps

Francisco