Old 12-19-2009, 01:08 PM
Ronan Mainbourg

Default Trying to make portage use "puf" instead of "wget"

Sorry, I should have given more details on why I am trying to do that:

the Internet connection I use at work is handled by a router which do automatic load-balancing between two different connections.

So when bandwidth usage of the first connection is saturated, all new connections are routed to the second one.
Although bandwidth of those two connections (1024kb/s + 512 kb/s) are limited and shared with other colleagues, in general I see some good dl speed improvements using tools that can do parallel fetch, that's why I'm trying to make portage act this way.

Paul:
I tried your modified FETCHCOMMAND, but without success
My configuration only allows me to run emerge as root (most of the time I use sudo).

The only thing I get trying to emerge media-libs/libdvbpsi is this log (maybe I can activate a more verbose one, but I don't know how?) :

>>> Emerging (1 of 1) media-libs/libdvbpsi-0.1.6

>>> Downloading 'http://mirror.ovh.net/gentoo-distfiles/distfiles/libdvbpsi5-0.1.6.tar.bz2'
>>> Downloading 'http://download.videolan.org/pub/libdvbpsi/0.1.6/libdvbpsi5-0.1.6.tar.bz2'

!!! Couldn't download 'libdvbpsi5-0.1.6.tar.bz2'. Aborting.
* Fetch failed for 'media-libs/libdvbpsi-0.1.6', Log file:
* '/var/tmp/portage/media-libs/libdvbpsi-0.1.6/temp/build.log'

>>> Failed to emerge media-libs/libdvbpsi-0.1.6, Log file:

>>> '/var/tmp/portage/media-libs/libdvbpsi-0.1.6/temp/build.log'

And in the build.log:

>>> Downloading 'http://mirror.ovh.net/gentoo-distfiles/distfiles/libdvbpsi5-0.1.6.tar.bz2'

>>> Downloading 'http://download.videolan.org/pub/libdvbpsi/0.1.6/libdvbpsi5-0.1.6.tar.bz2'

!!! Couldn't download 'libdvbpsi5-0.1.6.tar.bz2'. Aborting.

Download work great when I type directly:

puf*http://download.videolan.org/pub/libdvbpsi/0.1.6/libdvbpsi5-0.1.6.tar.bz2'

Any help please ?