Old 12-19-2009, 02:12 PM
"Michael P. Soulier"

Default freezing a package

If I want to freeze my nvidia-drivers because any upgrade will abandon my
hardware, masking out newer versions doesn't seem to be enough as it will also
offer to downgrade once that version is no longer in the portage tree.

Is it simpler to just remove nvidia-drivers from the world file?

Thanks,
Mike
--
Michael P. Soulier <msoulier@digitaltorque.ca>
--Albert Einstein

Old 12-19-2009, 02:18 PM
Albert Hopkins

On Sat, 2009-12-19 at 10:12 -0500, Michael P. Soulier wrote:
> If I want to freeze my nvidia-drivers because any upgrade will abandon my
> hardware, masking out newer versions doesn't seem to be enough as it will also
> offer to downgrade once that version is no longer in the portage tree.
>
> Is it simpler to just remove nvidia-drivers from the world file?

Create an local overlay. Put the ebuild in there.

Old 12-19-2009, 02:27 PM
Dale

Michael P. Soulier wrote:

If I want to freeze my nvidia-drivers because any upgrade will abandon my
hardware, masking out newer versions doesn't seem to be enough as it will also
offer to downgrade once that version is no longer in the portage tree.

Is it simpler to just remove nvidia-drivers from the world file?

Thanks,
Mike

I added this to the package.mask file:

>x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-173.14.20

That froze mine at that version. Of course, keep in mind if say
173.14.22 comes out, it won't upgrade then either. If you upgrade your
kernel later on and it requires a newer nvidia driver, you will have to
edit that line.

I'm sure some other guru will have a better way tho. ;-)

Dale

;-) :-)

Old 12-19-2009, 03:38 PM
Marcus Wanner

If I want to freeze my nvidia-drivers because any upgrade will
abandon my
hardware, masking out newer versions doesn't seem to be enough as it
will also

offer to downgrade once that version is no longer in the portage tree.

Is it simpler to just remove nvidia-drivers from the world file?

Thanks,
Mike

I added this to the package.mask file:

>x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-173.14.20

That froze mine at that version. Of course, keep in mind if say
173.14.22 comes out, it won't upgrade then either. If you upgrade
your kernel later on and it requires a newer nvidia driver, you will
have to edit that line.

I'm sure some other guru will have a better way tho. ;-)

My package mask file reads
>=x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-97.00
Because I have a GEForce 3 from goodness knows when and need 96.x. When
something had ABI updates and the video driver was part of them, the
driver was updated to the new version becuase portage got the latest
96.x drivers, which were not masked.

For you, I would recommend
>=x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-174.00
Because that will get 173.14.22 if it comes out.

Marcus

Old 12-19-2009, 04:37 PM
Dale

Michael P. Soulier wrote:
If I want to freeze my nvidia-drivers because any upgrade will
abandon my
hardware, masking out newer versions doesn't seem to be enough as it
will also

offer to downgrade once that version is no longer in the portage tree.

Is it simpler to just remove nvidia-drivers from the world file?

Thanks,
Mike

I added this to the package.mask file:

>x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-173.14.20

That froze mine at that version. Of course, keep in mind if say
173.14.22 comes out, it won't upgrade then either. If you upgrade
your kernel later on and it requires a newer nvidia driver, you will
have to edit that line.

I'm sure some other guru will have a better way tho. ;-)

My package mask file reads
>=x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-97.00
Because I have a GEForce 3 from goodness knows when and need 96.x.
When something had ABI updates and the video driver was part of them,
the driver was updated to the new version becuase portage got the
latest 96.x drivers, which were not masked.

For you, I would recommend
>=x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-174.00
Because that will get 173.14.22 if it comes out.

Marcus

Yep, that would work. I knew someone would have a better idea. I was
expecting that little ~ thingy to be used tho. ;-)

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 12-19-2009, 05:09 PM
Marcus Wanner

On 12/19/2009 12:37 PM, Dale wrote:

Marcus Wanner wrote:

My package mask file reads
>=x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-97.00
Because I have a GEForce 3 from goodness knows when and need 96.x.
When something had ABI updates and the video driver was part of them,
the driver was updated to the new version becuase portage got the
latest 96.x drivers, which were not masked.

For you, I would recommend
>=x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-174.00
Because that will get 173.14.22 if it comes out.
Yep, that would work. I knew someone would have a better idea. I was
expecting that little ~ thingy to be used tho. ;-)

Actually, that one came right out of the Gentoo nVidia Guide...
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/nvidia-guide.xml#doc_chap2_sect1
*sheepish_look*

Marcus

Old 12-19-2009, 07:15 PM
Dale

Marcus Wanner wrote:

My package mask file reads
>=x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-97.00
Because I have a GEForce 3 from goodness knows when and need 96.x.
When something had ABI updates and the video driver was part of
them, the driver was updated to the new version becuase portage got
the latest 96.x drivers, which were not masked.

For you, I would recommend
>=x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-174.00
Because that will get 173.14.22 if it comes out.
Yep, that would work. I knew someone would have a better idea. I
was expecting that little ~ thingy to be used tho. ;-)

Actually, that one came right out of the Gentoo nVidia Guide...
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/nvidia-guide.xml#doc_chap2_sect1
*sheepish_look*

Marcus

That guide most likely wasn't around when I started masking nvidia
packages. I sort of been around a good while here. Feel like dirt
sometimes.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 12-19-2009, 11:01 PM
"Michael P. Soulier"

On 19/12/09 Albert Hopkins said:

> Create an local overlay. Put the ebuild in there.

I'll need to read up on how. The section on overlays left me with the
impression that overlays were for experimental code, not for keeping private
copies of packages.

Anyway, I think I'll remove it from the world file, and mask it out, and look
into the overlay. At least it will be ignored when I emerge world.

I found that the > in the package.mask wasn't always enough though, as if I
used the --update argument to emerge and my version wasn't in the portage tree
anymore, emerge would get silly and offer to downgrade.

Mike

Old 12-19-2009, 11:18 PM
Dale

Michael P. Soulier wrote:

On 19/12/09 Albert Hopkins said:

Create an local overlay. Put the ebuild in there.

I'll need to read up on how. The section on overlays left me with the
impression that overlays were for experimental code, not for keeping private
copies of packages.

Anyway, I think I'll remove it from the world file, and mask it out, and look
into the overlay. At least it will be ignored when I emerge world.

I found that the > in the package.mask wasn't always enough though, as if I
used the --update argument to emerge and my version wasn't in the portage tree
anymore, emerge would get silly and offer to downgrade.

Mike

Hmmm, you may misunderstand something on this. You need to leave that
in there. The devs are not removing the packages from portage. Once
you mask it so that it will stick with the versions that work with your
card, you will be fine after that. The only updates will be the ones
that are needed.

I have a old FX-5200. After I put the line in my package.mask file, I
haven't seen a update in a good while. I did however have to update
when I updated my kernel a good while back. That is one reason to leave
that in the world file. If you update your kernel later on, you may
need to install a newer version of the nvidia drivers.

Unless the devs are removing the nvidia drivers from the tree, you
shouldn't need a overlay. You can do it that way but I'm not sure why
you need to.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 12-19-2009, 11:43 PM
Michael Higgins

On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 19:01:03 -0500
"Michael P. Soulier" <msoulier@digitaltorque.ca> wrote:

> On 19/12/09 Albert Hopkins said:
>
> > Create an local overlay. Put the ebuild in there.
>
> I'll need to read up on how. The section on overlays left me with the
> impression that overlays were for experimental code, not for keeping
> private copies of packages.

Yeah, that's too bad, because having your own overlay is a Good Thing,
IMO, in that it gives you some starting point for your own packages.

> Anyway, I think I'll remove it from the world file, and mask it out,
> and look into the overlay. At least it will be ignored when I emerge
> world.

Why remove it from world file? Just put it in your overlay and mask any
later versions, like '>whateverpackage-N.NN-rN' (the version you want to
keep) in package.mask, I think.

> I found that the > in the package.mask wasn't always enough though,
> as if I used the --update argument to emerge and my version wasn't in
> the portage tree anymore, emerge would get silly and offer to

Except that it *will* be in the portage tree, in your personal overlay,
unless *you* delete your ebuild. ;-)

> downgrade.

Cheers,

-- Michael Higgins