Old 12-18-2009, 06:38 PM
Florian Philipp

Default High load, idle CPU?

Hi list!

My virtual server seems to have a problem and I don't know how to find it.

Today, while trying to create a new postgresql database I noticed that
certain system operations seem to take ages. Normal work on the shell
works just fine but for example accessing the postgresql server through
psql, restarting tomcat, postgresql or zope all show the very same behavior:
Execution freezes, the load average climbs to 1-1.9 and after a few
minutes (maybe longer) the task finishes correctly. During all this
time, top reports that the CPUs are 100% idle.

Other services, for example rsyncd or openvpn, work normally. I also
tried restarting the VM. Shutdown took maybe 10 or 15 minutes. Booting
was much faster with only a few minutes until all services were up and
running. However, it didn't solve the problem.

So, my question is: How can I find out what is causing this? Can I
somehow trace it? Find out why a process waits?

Keep in mind that this is a virtual server. I have no control over the
kernel. Oh, and before you ask: The only recent update was rkhunter from
1.2.9-r1 to 1.3.4-r2. I also enabled the chkrootkit weekly cronjob.

Thanks in advance!
Florian Philipp