Old 12-17-2009, 07:14 PM
Denis

Default fstab and cdrom question

> The default udev scripts should have been able to automatically create
> symlinks for optical devices in /dev. Whether yours is broken, you can
> find out by trying to ls -l /dev/cdrom

It appears the links /dev/cdrom1 and /dev/cdrw1 are tied to /dev/hda.
Is that the default behavior instead of /dev/cdrom now?

Old 12-17-2009, 08:29 PM
walt

On 12/17/2009 10:42 AM, Denis wrote:

Hello folks,

Quick question.

My main HD is SATA and gets /dev/sda in fstab. My CDROM, which is the
only device on the IDE bus, seems to be /dev/hda. That's what
Audacious declared when it was looking for a CD to play. I had CDROM
device forced to /dev/cdrom in Audacious, unwittingly, before and was
wondering why my CDs were not playing! However, my fstab is still
"/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom auto noauto,user
0 0" - so should I switch this to /dev/hda instead of /dev/cdrom?
If so, should some link be made to /dev/cdrom, if other programs may
be querying /dev/cdrom for the sake of Linux standard convention, or
is /dev/cdrom already a link, which was broken in my case?

Take a look at /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persisten-cd.rules, which may
be pointing to the wrong hardware. Just delete that file and udev
will create it again on the next boot.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:43 PM
walt

The default udev scripts should have been able to automatically create
symlinks for optical devices in /dev. Whether yours is broken, you can
find out by trying to ls -l /dev/cdrom

It appears the links /dev/cdrom1 and /dev/cdrw1 are tied to /dev/hda.
Is that the default behavior instead of /dev/cdrom now?

That's what I have on my machines, except that I have /dev/cdrom instead of
cdrom1. Do you have more than one cd device? If not, you should delete
/etc/udev/rules/70-persistent-cd.rules and reboot.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:09 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

My main HD is SATA and gets /dev/sda in fstab. My CDROM, which is the
only device on the IDE bus, seems to be /dev/hda. That's what
Audacious declared when it was looking for a CD to play. I had CDROM
device forced to /dev/cdrom in Audacious, unwittingly, before and was
wondering why my CDs were not playing! However, my fstab is still
"/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom auto noauto,user
0 0" - so should I switch this to /dev/hda instead of /dev/cdrom?
If so, should some link be made to /dev/cdrom, if other programs may
be querying /dev/cdrom for the sake of Linux standard convention, or
is /dev/cdrom already a link, which was broken in my case?

Thank you,
Denis

You don't need an fstab entry at all. These days, when you insert a CD,
it will get mounted automatically and appear in /media, just like USB
storage devices.

Old 12-18-2009, 10:17 PM
Kyle Bader

I'm on the train so its hard to check the man pages but can't you use
udevtrigger or a similar tool so rebooting isn't required?

--
Sent from my mobile device

Kyle