Old 12-17-2009, 07:11 PM
Willie Wong

Default fstab and cdrom question

On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 01:42:33PM -0500, Penguin Lover Denis squawked:
> My main HD is SATA and gets /dev/sda in fstab. My CDROM, which is the
> only device on the IDE bus, seems to be /dev/hda. That's what
> Audacious declared when it was looking for a CD to play. I had CDROM
> device forced to /dev/cdrom in Audacious, unwittingly, before and was
> wondering why my CDs were not playing! However, my fstab is still
> "/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom auto noauto,user
> 0 0" - so should I switch this to /dev/hda instead of /dev/cdrom?

Sure, if you like.

> If so, should some link be made to /dev/cdrom, if other programs may
> be querying /dev/cdrom for the sake of Linux standard convention, or
> is /dev/cdrom already a link, which was broken in my case?

The default udev scripts should have been able to automatically create
symlinks for optical devices in /dev. Whether yours is broken, you can
find out by trying to ls -l /dev/cdrom

The Short History of Medicine

2000 B.C. - Here, eat this root
1000 A.D. - That root is heathen.
Here, say this prayer.
1850 A.D. - That prayer is superstition.
Here, drink this potion.
1940 A.D. - That potion is snake oil.
Here, swallow this pill.
1985 A.D. - That pill is ineffective.
Here, take this antibiotic.
2000 A.D. - That antibiotic doesn't work any more.
Here, eat this root.
Sortir en Pantoufles: up 1105 days, 19:01