Old 12-17-2009, 02:53 PM
Marcus Wanner

Default Where is my /dev/fd0?

I tried to mount a floppy disk in my ~x86 gentoo system, but the
/dev/fd0 device is not there. In other words, I can't find the block
device corresponding to my floppy drive. Where is it and what am I doing
wrong?

Marcus

Old 12-17-2009, 03:06 PM
Willie Wong

On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 10:53:21AM -0500, Penguin Lover Marcus Wanner squawked:
> I tried to mount a floppy disk in my ~x86 gentoo system, but the /dev/fd0
> device is not there. In other words, I can't find the block device
> corresponding to my floppy drive. Where is it and what am I doing wrong?

You are using udev, I assume? Did you compile the IDE floppy support
into your kernel?

In this course we will of course make use of God's Units, namely
h-bar = c = 1
but occasionally I will indulge myself in my personal addition to
those units, in the form of
2 = -1 = pi = i = 1
please feel free to interject whenever you feel confused, and I will
make my best effort to clarify things.
~Prof. Herman Verlinde explaining the things.
PHY 509, Intro to QFT, first lecture 09-12-03
Sortir en Pantoufles: up 1105 days, 14:58

Old 12-17-2009, 04:04 PM
Alex Schuster

Willie Wong writes:

> On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 10:53:21AM -0500, Penguin Lover Marcus Wanner
> squawked:
> > I tried to mount a floppy disk in my ~x86 gentoo system, but the
> > /dev/fd0 device is not there. In other words, I can't find the block
> > device corresponding to my floppy drive. Where is it and what am I
> > doing wrong?
>
> You are using udev, I assume? Did you compile the IDE floppy support
> into your kernel?

It's not IDE (IDE/ATAPI floppy support is for things like LS-120 drives),
but CONFIG_BLK_DEV_FD, found in Device Drivers -> Block devices -> Normal
floppy disk support. If it's compiled as a module, maybe you just need to
modprobe floppy?

Wonko

Old 12-17-2009, 04:04 PM
Marcus Wanner

On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 10:53:21AM -0500, Penguin Lover Marcus Wanner squawked:

I tried to mount a floppy disk in my ~x86 gentoo system, but the /dev/fd0
device is not there. In other words, I can't find the block device
corresponding to my floppy drive. Where is it and what am I doing wrong?

You are using udev, I assume? Did you compile the IDE floppy support
into your kernel?

The only floppy options I can find in the kernel relating to floppy
drives in the kernel config are mac floppy, amiga floppy, and atari
floppy, none of which apply to me. I believe I am using udev, and both
the cd/dvd drives work with my current setup. Thanks!

Marcus

Old 12-17-2009, 06:59 PM
Willie Wong

On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 06:04:37PM +0100, Penguin Lover Alex Schuster squawked:
> Willie Wong writes:
> > On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 10:53:21AM -0500, Penguin Lover Marcus Wanner
> > squawked:
> > > I tried to mount a floppy disk in my ~x86 gentoo system, but the
> > > /dev/fd0 device is not there. In other words, I can't find the block
> > > device corresponding to my floppy drive. Where is it and what am I
> > > doing wrong?
> >
> > You are using udev, I assume? Did you compile the IDE floppy support
> > into your kernel?
>
> It's not IDE (IDE/ATAPI floppy support is for things like LS-120 drives),
> but CONFIG_BLK_DEV_FD, found in Device Drivers -> Block devices -> Normal
> floppy disk support. If it's compiled as a module, maybe you just need to
> modprobe floppy?

My mistake. It's been a while since I built a kernel with floppy
support.

You should approach relationships like chess. And preferably as Deep Blue plays
it, or at least as Kasparov.
Sortir en Pantoufles: up 1105 days, 18:51

Old 12-17-2009, 08:21 PM
Marcus Wanner

On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 10:53:21AM -0500, Penguin Lover Marcus Wanner
squawked:

I tried to mount a floppy disk in my ~x86 gentoo system, but the
/dev/fd0 device is not there. In other words, I can't find the block
device corresponding to my floppy drive. Where is it and what am I
doing wrong?

You are using udev, I assume? Did you compile the IDE floppy support
into your kernel?

It's not IDE (IDE/ATAPI floppy support is for things like LS-120 drives),
but CONFIG_BLK_DEV_FD, found in Device Drivers -> Block devices -> Normal
floppy disk support. If it's compiled as a module, maybe you just need to
modprobe floppy?

I looked at that path in the config, it turns out that it was disabled
(by default! why?). I enabled it, rebuilt, rebooted, and now it works.
Thanks guys!

Marcus

Old 12-17-2009, 09:16 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 16:21:28 -0500, Marcus Wanner wrote:

> > It's not IDE (IDE/ATAPI floppy support is for things like LS-120
> > drives), but CONFIG_BLK_DEV_FD, found in Device Drivers -> Block
> > devices -> Normal floppy disk support. If it's compiled as a module,
> > maybe you just need to modprobe floppy?
> >
> I looked at that path in the config, it turns out that it was disabled
> (by default! why?).

For the same reason that support for punched card readers is disabled by
default.

--
Neil Bothwick

Protect your software at all costs -- all else is meat.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:45 PM
Marcus Wanner

It's not IDE (IDE/ATAPI floppy support is for things like LS-120
drives), but CONFIG_BLK_DEV_FD, found in Device Drivers -> Block
devices -> Normal floppy disk support. If it's compiled as a module,
maybe you just need to modprobe floppy?

I looked at that path in the config, it turns out that it was disabled
(by default! why?).

For the same reason that support for punched card readers is disabled by
default.

But they're so useful...and the computer we got a year ago had one. Do
things really go obsolete like that after decades of prevalence?

Marcus

Old 12-18-2009, 03:17 AM
Joshua Murphy

On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 7:45 PM, Marcus Wanner <marcusw@cox.net> wrote:

>>> I looked at that path in the config, it turns out that it was disabled
>>> (by default! why?).
>>>

>> For the same reason that support for punched card readers is disabled by
>> default.
>>

> But they're so useful...and the computer we got a year ago had one. Do
> things really go obsolete like that after decades of prevalence?
>
> Marcus

Yep... why deal with floppies when you can get a tiny little stick
that'll hold about 5688 times as much (8GB), read and write faster, is
more portable, and costs about $20 US on Newegg (without shopping
around even a little to find one on sale). Windows XP is the last big
reason I've dealt with floppy drives in the past 2/3 of a decade or so
now, and that's only because the only other option in getting screwy
chipset drivers at install time is to rebuild the install media
(nforce fake raid on Dell XPSes, more often than not).

--
Poison [BLX]
Joshua M. Murphy

Old 12-18-2009, 08:32 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 19:45:31 -0500, Marcus Wanner wrote:

> > For the same reason that support for punched card readers is disabled
> > by default.
> >
> But they're so useful...and the computer we got a year ago had one. Do
> things really go obsolete like that after decades of prevalence?

Yes, thankfully. Floppy disks have no real place nowadays, they are
bulky, unreliable and store very little. If you want support for legacy
hardware, it is there at the flick of a (config) switch but enabling by
default makes no sense, especially on Gentoo where default tends to mean
"starting point" more that "standard configuration".

--
Neil Bothwick

When there's a will, I want to be in it.