Old 01-05-2008, 06:11 PM
Chris Cohen

Default Intel High Defination Audio + Alsa

Hi folks...

just installed Gentoo on my new PC. I still have some problems with my custom
Kernel and 32bit java nsplugin doesn't work, but nothing as frustrating as a
non working sound.

I have a Gigabyte nforce 570 SLI board with
00:06.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP55 High Definition Audio (rev a2)
onboard that uses
snd_hda_intel 339492 0
snd_pcm 83848 2 snd_pcm_oss,snd_hda_intel
snd 65896 8
snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_ seq_device,snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm,snd_timer
snd_page_alloc 15248 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm

I'm currently running a Genkernel with sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-2.6.23-r5.
When I try to play a song with mpg123 I just get:
MPEG 1.0 layer III, 192 kbits/s, 44100 Hz stereo
initialize_device(): cannot set hw params
audio: Success

and speaker-test says:
Playback device is default
Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 1 channels
Using 16 octaves of pink noise
Rate set to 48000Hz (requested 48000Hz)
Buffer size range from 2048 to 16384
Period size range from 1024 to 1024
Using max buffer size 16384
Periods = 4
was set period_size = 1024
was set buffer_size = 16384
Unable to set hw params for playback: Invalid argument
Setting of hwparams failed: Invalid argument
speaker-test: pcm_plug.c:67: snd_pcm_plug_close: Assertion `plug->gen.slave ==
plug->req_slave' failed.
Aborted

I configured my soundcard with alsaconf and it worked(!!!) until this morning.
I installed some more softwre today but really don't know what could be the
problem. (Didn't do anything ).

Any help is really appreciated.

--
Greetings
Chris

Old 01-05-2008, 06:46 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Saturday 05 January 2008, Chris Cohen wrote:
> I configured my soundcard with alsaconf and it worked(!!!) until this
> morning. I installed some more softwre today but really don't know
> what could be the problem. (Didn't do anything ).

Did you try alsaconf again after stuff broke?

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com