Old 12-17-2009, 06:47 AM
Xi Shen

Default usb HD cannot boot without initramfs

hi,

i installed my gentoo on a usb HD disk, and i have compiled scsi, usb,
ata drivers into the kernel. but when boot, the system still cannot
find my usb hd, but it did find my hd on my laptop. what i missed?

--
Best Regards,
David Shen

http://twitter.com/davidshen84/
http://meme.yahoo.com/davidshen84/

Old 12-17-2009, 09:10 AM
Xi Shen

sorry, could you be more specific? i cannot follow you

Old 12-17-2009, 01:22 PM
Willie Wong

On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 03:47:14PM +0800, Penguin Lover Xi Shen squawked:
> i installed my gentoo on a usb HD disk, and i have compiled scsi, usb,
> ata drivers into the kernel. but when boot, the system still cannot
> find my usb hd, but it did find my hd on my laptop. what i missed?

I don't completely understand your question: if it cannot find your
usb hd and you installed on the usb HD, how did you boot?

Did you install the bootloader on the USB HD?
Did you get to the bootloader screen at all?
What cannot find your USB HD?

Tell us in more detail what you did, and what didn't work. Your
description is so vague that for all I know cosmic rays could've
caused your problem.

"`I think you ought to know that I'm feeling very
depressed.'"
"`Life, don't talk to me about life.'"
"`Here I am, brain the size of a planet and they ask me to
take you down to the bridge. Call that "job satisfaction"?
'Cos I don't.'"
"`I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my
left side.'"

- Guess who.
Sortir en Pantoufles: up 1105 days, 13:11

Old 12-17-2009, 01:36 PM
Steffen Loos

Xi Shen schrieb:

sorry, could you be more specific? i cannot follow you

i installed my gentoo on a usb HD disk, and i have compiled scsi, usb,
ata drivers into the kernel. but when boot, the system still cannot
find my usb hd, but it did find my hd on my laptop. what i missed?

You missed the filesystem driver for / compiled into the kernel

1. please don't toppost!
2. What alan said: have you compiled ext4 or whatever you use for your root-fs compiled _into_ the kernel?
3. Suggestion from me: have you _all_ usb-staff, you need to access the usb-hd compiled _into_ the kernel? (e.a. usb_storage) not as module!

Steffen

Old 12-17-2009, 02:14 PM
Dale

What file system did you use on the USB drive? Did you compile support
for that file system in the kernel? It can't be a module, it has to be
compiled into the kernel itself.

Dale

P. S. Top posted because he did. Please don't shoot the messenger.

Old 12-18-2009, 12:11 AM
Xi Shen

On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 10:22 PM, Willie Wong <wwong@math.princeton.edu> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 03:47:14PM +0800, Penguin Lover Xi Shen squawked:
>> i installed my gentoo on a usb HD disk, and i have compiled scsi, usb,
>> ata drivers into the kernel. but when boot, the system still cannot
>> find my usb hd, but it did find my hd on my laptop. what i missed?
>
> I don't completely understand your question: if it cannot find your
> usb hd and you installed on the usb HD, how did you boot?

i boot from the livedvd, and installed it on my usb hd. and the system
can boot normally if i use genkernel, i think it is because the
initramfs generated by genkernel loaded something that i missed.

> Did you install the bootloader on the USB HD?

yes, i use grub.

> Did you get to the bootloader screen at all?

yes, i can see the screen, and the kernel load log. but the system
dies when trying to mount the root and start the system.

Old 12-18-2009, 12:14 AM
Xi Shen

On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 10:36 PM, Steffen Loos <fenlo@gmx.net> wrote:
> Xi Shen schrieb:
>>
>> sorry, could you be more specific? i cannot follow you
>>

>> On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 4:01 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> You missed the filesystem driver for / compiled into the kernel
>
> 1. please don't toppost!

ok. but it looks like the gmail web client encourage top post

> 2. What alan said: have you compiled ext4 or whatever you use for your
> root-fs compiled _into_ the kernel?

yes, i use ext4 and it is compiled into the kernel.

> 3. Suggestion from me: have you _all_ usb-staff, you need to access the
> usb-hd compiled _into_ the kernel? (e.a. usb_storage) not as module!

i compiled the uhci and ehci into the kernel. i need to double check
the usb_storage thing. maybe this is the thing i missed.

Old 12-18-2009, 12:33 AM
Bruce Hill

On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 09:14:48AM +0800, Xi Shen wrote:
> ok. but it looks like the gmail web client encourage top post

That doesn't make it easy to read. This is how we see it when you top-post:

A: Because you are doing it wrong.

> >> On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 4:01 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com>
> >> wrote:

then you didn't trim other junk that is irrelevant.

Q. Why is my mouse eating all the cheese when I configured it "no cheese"?

> i compiled the uhci and ehci into the kernel. i need to double check
> the usb_storage thing. maybe this is the thing i missed.

UHCI is for Intel and VIA ... OHCI for others (these are both USB 1.0{1}
EHCI is for all USB 2.0

Make sure you have the correct UHCI/OHCI ... you only need one of those.
--
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the
lesson afterward. But properly learned, the lesson forever changes

Old 12-18-2009, 11:27 PM
Kyle Bader

Scsi support maybe?

--
Sent from my mobile device

Kyle

Old 12-18-2009, 11:39 PM
Robert Bridge

Try passing a rootdelay option to the kernel to allow the kernels USB
probe to complete before it tries to mount the USB device.

e.g. kernel /boot/kernel root=/dev/usbhdd rootdelay=30 in grub