Old 12-16-2009, 05:05 AM
"Walter Dnes"

Default How do I restore special keys in X?

We've all heard about the DontZap fiasco, caused by a few whiners. I
managed to restore that, but there seems to be even more lost
functionality. "MagicSysReq" no longer works in X. In addition, I've
made a slight change in /etc/inittab...

ca:12345:ctrlaltdel:/usr/bin/chvt 1

...which should cause ctrl_alt_del to kick me into tty1, rather than
rebooting. Here is the "InputDevice" section in my xorg.conf which
(along with DontZap) restores ctral_alt_bksp functionality.

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "kbd"
Option "XkbOptions" "terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"
Option "XkbOptions" "terminate:ctrl_alt_del"
EndSection

MagicSysReq and the modified ctrl_alt_del both work from a text
console, but not from X. What do I have to do to enable them? BTW, I
am not running HAL or DBUS.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>

Old 12-16-2009, 06:32 PM
Mick

On Wednesday 16 December 2009 06:05:04 Walter Dnes wrote:
> We've all heard about the DontZap fiasco, caused by a few whiners. I
> managed to restore that, but there seems to be even more lost
> functionality. "MagicSysReq" no longer works in X. In addition, I've
> made a slight change in /etc/inittab...
>
> ca:12345:ctrlaltdel:/usr/bin/chvt 1
>
> ...which should cause ctrl_alt_del to kick me into tty1, rather than
> rebooting. Here is the "InputDevice" section in my xorg.conf which
> (along with DontZap) restores ctral_alt_bksp functionality.
>
> Section "InputDevice"
> Identifier "Keyboard0"
> Driver "kbd"
> Option "XkbOptions" "terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"
> Option "XkbOptions" "terminate:ctrl_alt_del"
> EndSection
>
> MagicSysReq and the modified ctrl_alt_del both work from a text
> console, but not from X. What do I have to do to enable them? BTW, I
> am not running HAL or DBUS.

Option "DontZap" "false"
Option "VTSysReq" "true"

This is from the good ol' xorg.conf days. Today you can use similar entries
in the fdi XML files - but I am not really up to speed with those. Google
might help.
Mick