Old 12-16-2009, 03:32 AM

Default GLX module not loaded...

Hi,

something is still wrong with my X.

I downgraded all according X11-stuff to stable and now I have
a login and my X-desktop back.

| By the way: It may be helpful that after compiling the Xserver
| one is not only warned to compile all X11-drivers again due
| to API changes but also and explictly the window manager.
| but this is another scenario...

I am still haveing one "EE" in my Xorg.0.log which says the
following:

(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the GLX module; please check in your X
(EE) NVIDIA(0): log file that the GLX module has been loaded in your X
(EE) NVIDIA(0): server, and that the module is the NVIDIA GLX module. If
(EE) NVIDIA(0): you continue to encounter problems, Please try
(EE) NVIDIA(0): reinstalling the NVIDIA driver.
(II) NVIDIA(0): NVIDIA GPU GeForce 7600 GT (G73) at PCI:1:0:0 (GPU-0)

Module "glx" is accessed via xorg.conf like this

Section "Module"
Load "glx"
EndSection

but seems not successfully loaded according to the EEs above.

What can I do to remove this problem?

Thank you very much for any help in advance!
Keep hacking!
mcc

Old 12-16-2009, 06:54 AM
Bruce Hill

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 05:32:41AM +0100, meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:
> I am still haveing one "EE" in my Xorg.0.log which says the
> following:
>
> (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the GLX module; please check in your X
> (EE) NVIDIA(0): log file that the GLX module has been loaded in your X
> (EE) NVIDIA(0): server, and that the module is the NVIDIA GLX module. If
> (EE) NVIDIA(0): you continue to encounter problems, Please try
> (EE) NVIDIA(0): reinstalling the NVIDIA driver.
> (II) NVIDIA(0): NVIDIA GPU GeForce 7600 GT (G73) at PCI:1:0:0 (GPU-0)
>
> Module "glx" is accessed via xorg.conf like this
>
> Section "Module"
> Load "glx"
> EndSection
>
> but seems not successfully loaded according to the EEs above.

Have you run "eselect opengl set nvidia" yet? There is a nice guide here:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/nvidia-guide.xml
--
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the
lesson afterward. But properly learned, the lesson forever changes

Old 12-16-2009, 02:35 PM
Marcus Wanner

I am still haveing one "EE" in my Xorg.0.log which says the
following:

(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the GLX module; please check in your X
(EE) NVIDIA(0): log file that the GLX module has been loaded in your X
(EE) NVIDIA(0): server, and that the module is the NVIDIA GLX module. If
(EE) NVIDIA(0): you continue to encounter problems, Please try
(EE) NVIDIA(0): reinstalling the NVIDIA driver.
(II) NVIDIA(0): NVIDIA GPU GeForce 7600 GT (G73) at PCI:1:0:0 (GPU-0)

Module "glx" is accessed via xorg.conf like this

Section "Module"
Load "glx"
EndSection

but seems not successfully loaded according to the EEs above.

Have you run "eselect opengl set nvidia" yet? There is a nice guide here:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/nvidia-guide.xml

I was having the same problem and that command fixed it for me. I
noticed that before it was fixed, there was no 3d acceleration when
using opengl, making for very slow framerates with most 3d apps...

Marcus

Old 12-16-2009, 03:31 PM

Marcus Wanner <marcusw@cox.net> [09-12-16 17:04]:

> On 12/16/2009 2:54 AM, Bruce Hill wrote:
> >On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 05:32:41AM +0100, meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:
> >
> >>I am still haveing one "EE" in my Xorg.0.log which says the
> >>following:
> >>
> >>(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the GLX module; please check in
> >>your X
> >>(EE) NVIDIA(0): log file that the GLX module has been loaded in
> >>your X
> >>(EE) NVIDIA(0): server, and that the module is the NVIDIA GLX
> >>module. If
> >>(EE) NVIDIA(0): you continue to encounter problems, Please try
> >>(EE) NVIDIA(0): reinstalling the NVIDIA driver.
> >>(II) NVIDIA(0): NVIDIA GPU GeForce 7600 GT (G73) at PCI:1:0:0 (GPU-0)
> >>
> >>Module "glx" is accessed via xorg.conf like this
> >>
> >>Section "Module"
> >> Load "glx"
> >>EndSection
> >>
> >>but seems not successfully loaded according to the EEs above.
> >>
> >Have you run "eselect opengl set nvidia" yet? There is a nice guide
> >here:
> >http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/nvidia-guide.xml
> >
> I was having the same problem and that command fixed it for me. I
> noticed that before it was fixed, there was no 3d acceleration when
> using opengl, making for very slow framerates with most 3d apps...
>
> Marcus

...and I was sure, that the emerge process did this for me...
I did by hand and now I have another problem:

(II) Loading extension RECORD
(II) LoadModule: "dri"
(WW) Warning, couldn't open module dri
(II) UnloadModule: "dri"
(EE) Failed to load module "dri" (module does not exist, 0)
(II) LoadModule: "dri2"
(WW) Warning, couldn't open module dri2
(II) UnloadModule: "dri2"
(EE) Failed to load module "dri2" (module does not exist, 0)

Any eselect magic needed here ?

Old 12-16-2009, 03:56 PM
Alex Schuster

meino.cramer@gmx.de writes:

> I did by hand and now I have another problem:
>
> (II) Loading extension RECORD
> (II) LoadModule: "dri"
> (WW) Warning, couldn't open module dri
> (II) UnloadModule: "dri"
> (EE) Failed to load module "dri" (module does not exist, 0)
> (II) LoadModule: "dri2"
> (WW) Warning, couldn't open module dri2
> (II) UnloadModule: "dri2"
> (EE) Failed to load module "dri2" (module does not exist, 0)

I read here that this is okay for the nvidia drivers, they do the dri
stuff on their own.

Wonko

Old 12-16-2009, 05:14 PM

Alex Schuster <wonko@wonkology.org> [09-12-16 19:12]:
> meino.cramer@gmx.de writes:
>
> > I did by hand and now I have another problem:
> >
> > (II) Loading extension RECORD
> > (II) LoadModule: "dri"
> > (WW) Warning, couldn't open module dri
> > (II) UnloadModule: "dri"
> > (EE) Failed to load module "dri" (module does not exist, 0)
> > (II) LoadModule: "dri2"
> > (WW) Warning, couldn't open module dri2
> > (II) UnloadModule: "dri2"
> > (EE) Failed to load module "dri2" (module does not exist, 0)
>
> I read here that this is okay for the nvidia drivers, they do the dri
> stuff on their own.
>
> Wonko

Wonderful...now I can live in peace and X again !
THX a lot!
Mcc

Old 12-16-2009, 10:20 PM
Marcus Wanner

I did by hand and now I have another problem:

(II) Loading extension RECORD
(II) LoadModule: "dri"
(WW) Warning, couldn't open module dri
(II) UnloadModule: "dri"
(EE) Failed to load module "dri" (module does not exist, 0)
(II) LoadModule: "dri2"
(WW) Warning, couldn't open module dri2
(II) UnloadModule: "dri2"
(EE) Failed to load module "dri2" (module does not exist, 0)

I read here that this is okay for the nvidia drivers, they do the dri
stuff on their own.

Wonko

Wonderful...now I can live in peace and X again !
THX a lot!

Actually, if you want, you can put
Disable "dri"
Disable "dri2"
in the modules section of your xorg.conf, and that will get rid of the
messages.

Marcus